• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Non-target school

Hey guys. I am currently at a non-target school. I am doing very well, lots of ECs, good GPA, lots of internships, etc. I was wondering if the fact that I am going to a non-target is a bad thing for MSFE recruiting, or whether it does not really matter that much. If it isn't a good thing, should I transfer? I'll only be able to do about 1 major and a minor and my ECs will probably suffer since I won't be able to become an officer right away. What do you guys think?

MFE admission is all about checking off all the requirements and standing out among the thousand plus applicants, just like finding a job.
How exactly you will do that, there is no formula as there are numerous factors involved. Going to a non-target is not a hindrance, just as Wall Street is made up of people from various educational background.
The idea of "non-target" is irrelevance as how exactly you define "target". It is in the eye of the beholders, in this case, the people who read your application.

Thanks a lot for the response!
You said that there are thousands of applicants. I thought that these programs only get about 200-400 applicants a year. Has admissions really grown that much?
Also who do you think is the ideal "target" for a FE program's admission committee? I understand that they seek quantitative-type people, but is there anything else I should be aware of?
I am a math, econ (honors with math emphasis) and french major, with a cs minor, which is think is a pretty quantitative set, but is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Back