• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

North Carolina State University - MSc Financial Mathematics

I just received an admission to NCSU but I have absolutely no idea about the quality of the program. According to the rankings, NCSU is ranked at 11-15. But, no one in the forum seems to talk about it very much. Are the quality and reputation of the program not as up to par compared to some others? Academically speaking, does an admission to NCSU imply that I have a good chance that I can make it to other similar ranked universities such as BU?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just received an admission to NCSU but I have absolutely no idea about the quality of the program. According to the rankings, NCSU is ranked at 11-15. But, no one in the forum seems to talk about it very much. Are the quality and reputation of the program not as up to par compared to some others? Academically speaking, does an admission to NCSU imply that I have a good chance that I can make it to other similar ranked universities such as BU?

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi ubcgrad
It might be off topic, but can you share your academic and professional background. I also applied for the NCSU wanna see my admission chanse.
Thank you

Hi ubcgrad
It might be off topic, but can you share your academic and professional background. I also applied for the NCSU wanna see my admission chanse.
Thank you
Hi arvin,
Although u did not ask, maybe I could provide some info for your ref. I got the ad at March 1, international applicant, G1350+, T100+, from Renmin University of China, Financial Engineering Major, intern at SCB and BNYMellon, actually not a competitive background in this year's application.
I am also searching for addtional info about NC state while waiting for other programs. BTW, in Mainland China, there are over 10 ADs as far as i know.

Hi arvin,
Although u did not ask, maybe I could provide some info for your ref. I got the ad at March 1, international applicant, G1350+, T100+, from Renmin University of China, Financial Engineering Major, intern at SCB and BNYMellon, actually not a competitive background in this year's application.
I am also searching for addtional info about NC state while waiting for other programs. BTW, in Mainland China, there are over 10 ADs as far as i know.

Thanks for your kind answer
I think you have good profile the GRE and TOEFL scores were great. Could you please tell what was your GPA? Elaine you said major in Financial Engineering? you mean undergrad in Financial Engineering? Is there undergrad FE in China?

I know a Quantnet member who is a NCSU '07 grad who used to work for a software vendor our trading desk used. I last talked to that person over two years ago.
I would suggestion going to LinkedIn, put "Financial Mathematics" in the keyword field, use "North Carolina State University" as university filter and "Financial Services" as industry filter.
I got a few dozen of them and my contact is one of them.

You should be able to get more updated info about the program from current students.

Thanks for your kind answer
I think you have good profile the GRE and TOEFL scores were great. Could you please tell what was your GPA? Elaine you said major in Financial Engineering? you mean undergrad in Financial Engineering? Is there undergrad FE in China?

Hi arvin, my gpa was not that good in my peers, 3.4/4.0 for overall and 3.5/4.0 for major. The FE undergrad is true, it is just a sort of concerntration in FE field, which means that the students in FE class have to take more cources in Math and Derivatives. I finally will get a BS in Economics.

I know a Quantnet member who is a NCSU '07 grad who used to work for a software vendor our trading desk used. I last talked to that person over two years ago.
I would suggestion going to LinkedIn, put "Financial Mathematics" in the keyword field, use "North Carolina State University" as university filter and "Financial Services" as industry filter.
I got a few dozen of them and my contact is one of them.

You should be able to get more updated info about the program from current students.

Thanks Andy, I will try it out.

hi everyone,
I am a present graduate student at NCSU in financial math program.
For those who have gotten an admit in the financial mathematics program my congrats.
The program is tough and there are stringent criterions enforced for being awarded a degree.
You have to get a B or more in every course to graduate and your course is heavy on the statistics and math part and they dont give you grades that easily.
Prof . Facklers course is the toughest in the program , he teaches computational methods in finance.
The program will prepare you with a strong theoretical background in statistics and computational economics.
The language of computing is matlab. Stochastics calculus is taught by prof tao pang and it is extremely rigourous.
The other courses are doable for more info on courses see the ncsu financial math website.

Compared to the rigours of the program the oppurtunities for quant jobs are limited.
The program could do better with a internship director but that is up to the university.
Location is a real negative in the program.
We are from the graduating class of 2011 and we are searching for quant jobs but most of them are in NY and we dont really get calls from them. The HR in most of these quant firms are such duds they dont even look at resumes if we apply online. Worse they dont even know what we do. Getting interview calls is heavily influenced by university career center and its contacts with industry.

Conclusion:
Sound program academically.
Allied with dept of math and stat whish is highly ranked.
weak in career prospects.

hi everyone,
I am a present graduate student at NCSU in financial math program.
For those who have gotten an admit in the financial mathematics program my congrats.
The program is tough and there are stringent criterions enforced for being awarded a degree.
You have to get a B or more in every course to graduate and your course is heavy on the statistics and math part and they dont give you grades that easily.
Prof . Facklers course is the toughest in the program , he teaches computational methods in finance.
The program will prepare you with a strong theoretical background in statistics and computational economics.
The language of computing is matlab. Stochastics calculus is taught by prof tao pang and it is extremely rigourous.
The other courses are doable for more info on courses see the ncsu financial math website.

Compared to the rigours of the program the oppurtunities for quant jobs are limited.
The program could do better with a internship director but that is up to the university.
Location is a real negative in the program.
We are from the graduating class of 2011 and we are searching for quant jobs but most of them are in NY and we dont really get calls from them. The HR in most of these quant firms are such duds they dont even look at resumes if we apply online. Worse they dont even know what we do. Getting interview calls is heavily influenced by university career center and its contacts with industry.

Conclusion:
Sound program academically.
Allied with dept of math and stat whish is highly ranked.
weak in career prospects.

Hi
I want know there is litte chance to find job in Charlotte?

Charlotte has many banks right?

Back