• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Courant MSFM vs. Columbia MFE

NYU Courant MSFM vs. Columbia MFE

• Total voters
I was admitted into both programs and am pretty split on making a decision between the two. I've attended the info sessions for both schools and am planning on meeting people from both programs in the coming weeks. Hoping to take away some wisdom from the crowds with this post ahead of those meetings to help guild me in the decision process.

Background on myself. I've been working on wall street for about 6 years now. Graduated undergrad from Cornell in 2017 with a BSc in Applied Economics & Management / Minor in Mathematics. Taught myself to code, and have been working as a Software Engineer inside a hedge fund. Tried getting a role as a quant trader/researcher on the buy side in either a multi-strat, systematic shop (Two Sigma/DE Shaw/AQR/etc.), or Prop Trading shop (Akuna/Jump/etc.). But, it was difficult to secure interviews, so I decided to get my masters to strengthen my resume.

Given that I am a bit older, have some industry experience, and am targeting buy-side roles imbedded in a systematic investment process, which school do you think is a better fit?

I'm unable to compare the two programs, but I want to say that we would welcome your presence in our program. You'll be able to provide a valuable real world perspective to your classmates based on your work experience. I would add that, in our experience, a student like you usually does very well in our program, because you have a clearer view of how what you're learning will be used in practice. So I hope you'll come!

Back