• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU MFE vs Imperial RMFE

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to know your opinion and views on both these courses. I have admits from both these courses and would like your opinion on them

I would like to work in Europe but only owing to the better work life balance.
I am aware that the salary drawn after the course would be majorly different.
I got waitlisted by UCB and I'm currently waiting for Columbia MFE.
I just wanted your views on the Pros and Cons of working in Europe vs US and the job prospects after both courses

Having done high school in the US, bachelors in the UK, and coming back for MFE in the US this year (also having applied to both of these), I might be able to offer some good insight for you.

Career wise, if you're an international student in both countries, it will likely be easier to land an offer in the UK (still much harder than for locals unfortunately).
1) the UK offers a "graduate visa" for 2 years with full time work allowance upon graduation (assuming you haven't used this already).
2) there's less hoops to jump through with sponsorship compared to the US if that's the route you'd need to through.

Academically, the two programs differ a bit and it kind of boils down to your ideal time frame for completion and what kind of quant finance you'd like to do.
- Imperial is 10 months, Tandon is 2 years (though 25% of students choose to complete in 1.5 years). If you don't have any quant work experience, it might be worth it to slow it down rather than rushing through and that being the problem for full time employment.
- If it's a true quant role you want, this Imperial degree is said to be a bit diluted by the risk management component vs pure quant, so more tailored to traditional finance. Look up "Imperial RMFE" in the search bar on here and check out a few threads, generally mixed reviews. Tandon has a bit more variety with how you want to tailor your experience with a wide range of electives and 4 different study tracks, so you have more discretion there. I think they are computational finance, risk, corporate finance, and tech/algo.

As a side note one thing that worries me is when I look up current students at Tandon (class of 2025) on LinkedIn, most have not secured summer internships. Don't know if it's on them for applying too late, on the tough job market right now, or on Tandon. Haven't done research on Imperial RMFE to compare this.

Having done high school in the US, bachelors in the UK, and coming back for MFE in the US this year (also having applied to both of these), I might be able to offer some good insight for you.

Career wise, if you're an international student in both countries, it will likely be easier to land an offer in the UK (still much harder than for locals unfortunately).
1) the UK offers a "graduate visa" for 2 years with full time work allowance upon graduation (assuming you haven't used this already).
2) there's less hoops to jump through with sponsorship compared to the US if that's the route you'd need to through.

Academically, the two programs differ a bit and it kind of boils down to your ideal time frame for completion and what kind of quant finance you'd like to do.
- Imperial is 10 months, Tandon is 2 years (though 25% of students choose to complete in 1.5 years). If you don't have any quant work experience, it might be worth it to slow it down rather than rushing through and that being the problem for full time employment.
- If it's a true quant role you want, this Imperial degree is said to be a bit diluted by the risk management component vs pure quant, so more tailored to traditional finance. Look up "Imperial RMFE" in the search bar on here and check out a few threads, generally mixed reviews. Tandon has a bit more variety with how you want to tailor your experience with a wide range of electives and 4 different study tracks, so you have more discretion there. I think they are computational finance, risk, corporate finance, and tech/algo.

As a side note one thing that worries me is when I look up current students at Tandon (class of 2025) on LinkedIn, most have not secured summer internships. Don't know if it's on them for applying too late, on the tough job market right now, or on Tandon. Haven't done research on Imperial RMFE to compare this.
currently taking a class at tandon MFE. I can confirm the job prospects are not great right now for the students in the program (part of it is the tough Market, but they seem to be dong worse than other good programs)...

Back