• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU MSMF vs Stanford MS Stats

NYU MSMF vs Stanford MS Stats

• Total voters
Chansu can give you more insight about the similarities and differences between the 2 programs more than anyone else on here can, but realize that his situation is obviously different from yours.

If you want a job in NY, I think the choice is obvious. Several of the current students at NYU MSMF who want to do trading in Asia have received interviews for trading internships in Asia. You'll have to ask them about the details though.

Here's what I thought like most Chinese applicants, 'although I know Harvard will reject me, I will regret for the rest of my life by not applying! (which means I cannot see the rejection letter with my own eyes:p)' -- and I did see it for myself in the end~

Having multiple options is what I haven't expected, haha. BTW one current MSMF student told me many of them live in Newport. Maybe you can check the housing info there if you haven't decided to live on campus or rented an apartment:)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually going to New York some time in May to check out the different areas. My adviser told me not to live in their student housing on campus (said his brother went to NYU and did that, and that the housing wasn't very good). I'm actually getting married this summer, so my choice of housing needs to be something that she likes too haha. We were originally thinking about buying a house in North New Jersey, but she is looking to apply to masters programs in math (and there are not too many of those actually; most math departments only offer a masters on the way to a PhD). In that area you basically have NYU (which is the highest ranking math department that offers a masters as a terminal degree, now that UCLA has decided to stop offering one), Hunter College, and Rutgers. So until we know where she's going to go to school (or if she can get in), we're going to look at short-term housing. Right now we're looking up north, in the Yonkers area. But I've actually never even been to New York before, so this will be a brand new experience for me. :)

PS I totally understand the need to apply to the really good schools. I did that both with undergrad and with grad school (and with postdocs, although I never really wanted to do a postdoc). And Harvard was particularly terrible to me.....rejected for undergrad, rejected for grad school, rejected for postdoc hahaha.

Chansu can give you more insight about the similarities and differences between the 2 programs more than anyone else on here can, but realize that his situation is obviously different from yours.
If you want a job in NY, I think the choice is obvious. Several of the current students at NYU MSMF who want to do trading in Asia have received interviews for trading internships in Asia. You'll have to ask them about the details though.

Thx snipez! I've bothered him with many questions already. :DHaha I know his situation is different from (and better than) mine. Also I cannot afford the cost of two master programs so it's going to be a one shot deal. Trading in Asia is not in my near future plan but thanks anyway for the info!:)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually going to New York some time in May to check out the different areas. My adviser told me not to live in their student housing on campus (said his brother went to NYU and did that, and that the housing wasn't very good). I'm actually getting married this summer, so my choice of housing needs to be something that she likes too haha. We were originally thinking about buying a house in North New Jersey, but she is looking to apply to masters programs in math (and there are not too many of those actually; most math departments only offer a masters on the way to a PhD). In that area you basically have NYU (which is the highest ranking math department that offers a masters as a terminal degree, now that UCLA has decided to stop offering one), Hunter College, and Rutgers. So until we know where she's going to go to school (or if she can get in), we're going to look at short-term housing. Right now we're looking up north, in the Yonkers area. But I've actually never even been to New York before, so this will be a brand new experience for me. :)
PS I totally understand the need to apply to the really good schools. I did that both with undergrad and with grad school (and with postdocs, although I never really wanted to do a postdoc). And Harvard was particularly terrible to me.....rejected for undergrad, rejected for grad school, rejected for postdoc hahaha.

Throw me some advice after you check out there~ one of my friends accepted to NYU MSMF is planning on going to NYC soon, too. Also another friend is currently studying in NYC so if I get any housing info from them I can share with you, haha. BTW I suggest NYU to your GF~ It's a much better place for math majors than Rutgers. As for Hunter College, I never heard it before..:p

Throw me some advice after you check out there~ one of my friends accepted to NYU MSMF is planning on going to NYC soon, too. Also another friend is currently studying in NYC so if I get any housing info from them I can share with you, haha. BTW I suggest NYU to your GF~ It's a much better place for math majors than Rutgers. As for Hunter College, I never heard it before..:p

Both NYU and Rutgers are excellent math departments, which of course makes it difficult to get in. Then again, most people that apply for graduate school in math are PhD students so I have no idea how in demand the masters in math program at NYU is (I know Rutgers basically only offers a masters if you have a strong need to attend Rutgers). The real problem with getting a masters in math is that most good departments don't offer it as a terminal degree (meaning they will only let you get a masters if you get one on the way to a PhD). But she's studying for the GRE subject test right now (which naturally means I have to help hahaha).

I will definitely make a post about NYC once I visit. Hopefully we will all converge on some good housing ideas. Ugh, and I thought finding places to live in LA was tough......

Both NYU and Rutgers are excellent math departments, which of course makes it difficult to get in. Then again, most people that apply for graduate school in math are PhD students so I have no idea how in demand the masters in math program at NYU is (I know Rutgers basically only offers a masters if you have a strong need to attend Rutgers). The real problem with getting a masters in math is that most good departments don't offer it as a terminal degree (meaning they will only let you get a masters if you get one on the way to a PhD). But she's studying for the GRE subject test right now (which naturally means I have to help hahaha).
I will definitely make a post about NYC once I visit. Hopefully we will all converge on some good housing ideas. Ugh, and I thought finding places to live in LA was tough......

I don't know much about the master program in math at NYU, either. I suggest you have a look at the program website that featurs students' profile and simply ask those students in person when you visit NYC~ As for GRE math subject test, I think modern algebra is the most difficult part, haha. I almost forgot all about it when I started preparing for this test. Everything else is much easier. But there weren't many questions on modern algebra, only 3 or 4~ When I took the test, I left two questions unanswered in order to avoid losing points (1 wrong answer means -1 "point", not clear how many wrong questions equal -10 points on the score report, haha) and they are both on modern algebra.;)

I also got admited to NYU yesterday, But My parents have a strong perference to chicago msfm. So Lyn are you going to NYU?

I also got admited to NYU yesterday, But My parents have a strong perference to chicago msfm. So Lyn are you going to NYU?
Haha yep~ It's said Chicago has received 850 applications and planned to send out 200 offers of admissions... I don't know if it's true but one applicant said he got this info from an assistant in MSFM program at Chicago.

But My parents have a strong perference to chicago msfm.
any specific reason why your parents like Chicago MSFM better? Have they done some research or this is just because?

If you're choosing between NYU MSMF and Chicago MSFM, it is pretty obvious in my opinion that you should go with NYU MSMF. NYU has much lower acceptance rate for full time students (~2% heard directly from the program director Petter Kolm) and has way better reputation.

I got UChic and NYU offers recently as well. But putting deposits with MIT has saved me some time worrying :-P

Between the two, I would definitely prefer NYU for its location, brand name and track record. Access to top practitioners is another plus!

I got UChic and NYU offers recently as well. But putting deposits with MIT has saved me some time worrying :-P

Between the two, I would definitely prefer NYU for its location, brand name and track record. Access to top practitioners is another plus!

What made you choose MIT over NYU? I have already committed to MIT as well but am thinking about rescinding because I'm starting to feel that NYU might better prepare me for a job in quant finance...

What made you choose MIT over NYU? I have already committed to MIT as well but am thinking about rescinding because I'm starting to feel that NYU might better prepare me for a job in quant finance...
for quant finance of course NYU is better, you will know the answer if you see the courses they offer

I was in the same boat as you guys last year, ultimately picking NYU over MIT even after putting in a deposit with them. MIT had over enrolled their class, so I got my money back without any problem. They may refund your deposit too if you ask nicely. If you want to go into quant finance, go with NYU over MIT.

I know Sonya your situation is a little different since you're already there for undergrad. Happy to chat if you have any questions about either program.

every year lots of students come to US from overseas to study quantitative, and the number of applicants are increasing exponentially. in 2008 ucb acceptance rate was still 22.6%, but what about now? is it 2% or lower? Do the banks on the street accommodate so many
graduates each year? International students want to secure a job and work for several years, and maybe get a permanent residency. but whichever school does not guarantee placement. after getting a job, what about layoffs, which happen constantly and sometimes a whole team is cut? can they find a new job soon enough without a green card? without a job one has to leave US. with the same risk I'd go with schools with big names, which opens more opportunities than, say, structured finance, if I devote to do it in one or two years.

Back