• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Partial Differential

Hi Guys, How important is partial differential equations to take before starting MSFE program, in top 12-14 programs? Would it hurt my application if I have not taken this class? Please let me know...best

Some programmes expect PDE/FDM exposure. The relevant courses here satisfy the requirements as they are closely aligned to computational finance. (student discounts)

Last edited:
I would assume that a fair number of top tier programs would expect you to know partial differential equations. Even if they weren't, it would still be a great idea to take it since the pace of these programs is fairly rapid and you don't want to get stuck or dumbfounded. Lastly, partial differential equations are incredibly fun and immensely useful for your career endeavours. Good luck.

PDE with pencil and paper is fun but the real fun/insight begins when your put it into a computer with C++.

Just like Johnny von Neumann, Euler and Laplace.

Last edited:
PDE with pencil and paper is fun but the real fun/insight begins when your put it into a computer with C++.

Just like Johnny von Neumann, Euler and Laplace.

Your courses seems very interesting, and valuable, I think there is a bit more content in your courses than some of the C++ courses offered as pre MSFE.

I would assume that a fair number of top tier programs would expect you to know partial differential equations. Even if they weren't, it would still be a great idea to take it since the pace of these programs is fairly rapid and you don't want to get stuck or dumbfounded. Lastly, partial differential equations are incredibly fun and immensely useful for your career endeavours. Good luck.
I agree with you, the more exposure you have, the better, plus math is fun for the most part. Thanks!

A bit of nostalgia: the first job I got was modeling cathode ray tubes (nonlinear heat equation PDE with radiation) using finite element method (FEM) for next-generation TVs. Also semiconductor modeling and numerics.

Back