• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Path to buy side roles for incoming MFE student

Hey everyone,

I'll be joining either imperial or Oxford this year for their math finance master's program and I'm looking for some advice on how to maximize my chances of getting a buy side or front office sell side internship or full time role soon after graduating. My background is in pure math (master's at top 20 US) but it is more so in algebra/geometry and I don't have much experience working with data hands on. I do know how to code although I'm not good at handling large codebases. I can study books like ESL but I feel like it cannot substitute for real world experience. And my resume might not get selected if I simply read a book.

I'll be doing an internship covering volatility modelling over the summer at a large bank but I guess this is more middle office stuff and has less career progression in terms of compensation. What can I do/learn from now till the program starts to get a buy side role? I need to do this work now because applications start about the same time as program start so I can't bank on learning from the coursework. Also, if there's any advice on what sorts of courses/topics (machine learning/ deep learning/ stochastic calculus/ computing/ numerical methods etc) to prioritize for my electives choices, I would really appreciate it.

Hey everyone,

I'll be joining either imperial or Oxford this year for their math finance master's program and I'm looking for some advice on how to maximize my chances of getting a buy side or front office sell side internship or full time role soon after graduating. My background is in pure math (master's at top 20 US) but it is more so in algebra/geometry and I don't have much experience working with data hands on. I do know how to code although I'm not good at handling large codebases. I can study books like ESL but I feel like it cannot substitute for real world experience. And my resume might not get selected if I simply read a book.

I'll be doing an internship covering volatility modelling over the summer at a large bank but I guess this is more middle office stuff and has less career progression in terms of compensation. What can I do/learn from now till the program starts to get a buy side role? I need to do this work now because applications start about the same time as program start so I can't bank on learning from the coursework. Also, if there's any advice on what sorts of courses/topics (machine learning/ deep learning/ stochastic calculus/ computing/ numerical methods etc) to prioritize for my electives choices, I would really appreciate it.
Maybe pm me ?
I’ll be at Imperial next year, and I’m on the same boat. Hoping I can find someone to practice quant interviews during the summer - whether it’s coding, stats, math or finance - I think it can give us an edge to practice these things

Back