• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD Advice

sjc

Hi,

I've just finished the first year of a PhD in Mathematics at a well respected UK university (Oxbridge). However, I don't like my topic and have decided that I want to pursue mathematical finance instead. Should I:

1. Submit my work for an MRes and apply to start a PhD in mathematical finance next year. This would take another four years, rather than two, but I'd be interested and happy with what I was doing.

2. Submit my work for an MRes and apply to start a MSc in mathematical finance next year. This is the expensive option.

3. Push on with my current topic (although it's tough to motivate yourself once interest has been lost) and learn mathematical finance on the side. Perhaps the quickest and cheapest option, but not necessarily leading where I would like and the least fun.

I would appreciate any advice, especially from anyone who has been in a similar situation. Thanks.

1) Is a terrible idea.

2) Why an MRes first?

3) You can try and do a postdoc in mathematical finance immediately, you don't always need direct experience in your post-doc area. Figure out how to apply your background knowledge to a problem in mathematical finance, pitch it to a professor, and you're away.

Back