• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

PhD: does school brand matter?

Hi all,

I am currently studying for Master's in statistics at Stanford. I have been accepted to several PhD programs in Statistics such as CMU, UCLA, and U Penn. However, I would prefer to go to a PhD program in Asia (due to personal issues) like National University of Singapore or Australian National University. However, my main concern is that earning a PhD degree in these Asian schools might lower my chance of getting good quant jobs (especially in New York or London) vs US schools.

Can anyone give me advice of this? Does the school brand for PhD matter for recruiting process?

Many thanks.

Hi Andy, since I dont know much about the outlook of the jobs in 5 years, can you provide me more information on this? What you think of jobs opportunities in Asia?

Brand name is the single most important factor on getting a job in any walk of life, not just finance.

I totally agree with Barny. If you are going for conventional job it is the only thing that matters.

Probably not.

But now it looks more like a Milan catwalk.

The jobs are fewer and the pool of contenders larger. And one reason why the college-industrial complex is under stress: tuition continues to increase in real terms but the graduates of an increasing number of schools cannot find jobs. The link between academic credentials and subsequent white-collar employment seems to have been broken except for elite students with elite credentials. And it's not clear even this will continue.

Back