• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Physics Student interested in Quant Career

Hi everyone. I'm a undergrad physics student and a decent university (ranked 70th in the US for physics), with decent grades (~3.7/4.0), who should be graduating in May of 2014. My original plan was to go on for my PhD in physics, focusing on some sort of computational astrophysics research (modeling stellar structure/evolution, radiation transfer, celestial dynamics/n-body problems, etc.). However, I am now strongly interested in mathematical/quantitative finance, and I'm not sure if I should change my plans.

I have a pretty good background in programming, I learned C++ about 5 years ago and use it semi-regularly, and have since picked up Python, C#, VBA, Matlab, and Java. As far as finance goes, I have almost no experience, but I do plan to start working my way through the reading list posted on these forums.

My questions/concerns:
  1. If I go on to do research in computational astrophysics, will I have any chance of being employed in this industry when I graduate? Should I look for a MFE program, of Financial Math PhD instead?
  2. If I do go the physics PhD route, how do I prepare myself for a career in finance?
  3. I've gotten mixed feedback on the state of the profession. Can I be sure quants will even exist 6-8 years from now, when I graduate?
  4. If there is no longer a demand for quants in the future, can MFE's and Financial Math PhDs be employed in other industries? With a PhD in physics, the employment opportunities are fairly broad.
Thanks in advance!

I only joined this board and i'm not in any banking field yet. So take my answers lightly just my view! I have a similar question which i posted before

1. Yes why not, aslong as you show aptitude in programming which you have. You do have a chance. If you enjoy computational astrophysics right now alot more than MFE then stick with computational astrophysics. If you're looking for front office quant job, you're most likely to get one with a PhD.

2. not sure, need to look around my self!

3. There will always be a need for quants. It may need to be reorganised from time to time but from my view quants address issues otherwise impossible in any other way and that's something everyone has to get used to. In terms of specific quant roles I would now know how they would fluctuate

4. a financial maths PhD show theoretical and computational understanding at a complex level that is otherwise required in other jobs. A number of other jobs do require PhDs in a quantitative field they don;t necessarily look at what qualitative aspect you were looking at. For MFE however (masters?) you might not be so lucky. You can get a job in finance nonetheless thats not quant related.

Take these with a pinch of salt. I just thought I would contribute!

Back