• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Preparation and Making the most of my internship

Hey!
I'm a first year FE student studying in the US with no prior work ex. I will be working with a BB as a Quant Analyst at their Mortgage trading desk this summer. I was vaguely told my work will revolve around pricing and risk management of the desk. I'm reaching out to understand how I can prepare for this job. Also, do you have any advice on how I can make the most out of my internship and full-time (hopefully, it's extended).

Last edited:
Make the best impression you can during your internship. You said pricing and risk management so I guess that would include running simulation/VaR calculation. You can reach out to see what tech stack that desk will be using so you can get ready to contribute on day one. I would imagine Python, VBA/Excel and nothing like hardcore C++.
We have a goldmine of risk management resource here. Read up on mortgage products.
You have to start somewhere and a role as QA intern on a trading desk is as good as any. This is where you make your impression and get to network.
Best of luck and let us know if you need anything.

Back