• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Prepare for Quant Interviews Coding Wise

I am someone who knows Java and Python pretty well, but has trouble immediately seeing a question and start coding. A main focus before joining a MFE and interviewing in the fall will be focusing on coding questions.
is LeetCode preferred over HackerRank? And typically what level questions should I be comfortable with? Thanks.

my personal opinion, LeetCode (majorly data structures, dynamic programming sort of questions). Very comfortable with Medium level questions and should have some exposure to Hard level questions.

I am someone who knows Java and Python pretty well, but has trouble immediately seeing a question and start coding. A main focus before joining a MFE and interviewing in the fall will be focusing on coding questions.
is LeetCode preferred over HackerRank? And typically what level questions should I be comfortable with? Thanks.
You'd be better served taking a hands on programming course or two, with an instructor who can give you feedback on your code.

You'd be better served taking a hands on programming course or two, with an instructor who can give you feedback on your code.
In my experience, the leetcode approach will better prepare someone to pass an interview. Sure it's always good to become a better developer through code reviews. However, pretty much any coding question I've ever gotten can be found on leetcode. Just make sure you study the optimal approaches and understand why they are the optimal approaches.

Last edited:
Back