• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation

Hi,
I am working as a software developer currently and I would like to pursue an MFE program. I wrote the GMAT last year and scored 740 (Q 51 and V 38, 97 %ile) . I am interested in applying to the following programs for the fall 2013 admissions.
  • CMU Tepper
  • MIT Sloan
  • UCB (Only Summer admissions so cant apply in fall 2013)
My Acad records(prog/math subjects alone)
==============================
  • Mathematics - 9.5
  • C Programming - 10
  • Object oriented Programming - 10
  • System engineering Mathematics - 10
  • Probability and Queueing theory - 8
  • Economics and Financial Management - 9
  • Statistical theory of communication - 9
All scores above are on a base scale of 10

I have an undergrad CGPA of 9.2 / 10. And my math skills have been on the stronger side. I am interested to become a quant because it involves programming and I am interested in making a career shift to finance. (And the salaries are attractive as well !) I am proficient in coding in C# and I have done some work in F# as well. Currently, at work I also use R to analyze financial data to do regression and correlation analysis.
Given my work profile, scores, and academic record, please suggest me schools to which I should apply to.
1) Is it realistic to aim for the schools listed above ? Has there been similar experience for other people?
2) I want to apply to a couple of sure-shot schools as well as long as they have a good reputation for jobs/career centers. Please suggest such schools.
3) How is the job market in the US for quant traders currently ? How is it expected to be in 2 years ?

Back