• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation

Undergraduate Class of 2013

3.6/4.0
Industrial and Systems Engineering
University of Florida

168Q/156V

Relevant Experience
-Teaching Assistant for Decision Support Systems (database management programming class)
-Manufacturing Internship (process development and assembly line streamlining)

I've got a good amount of leadership on campus as well.

Thinking of applying to:

1. Columbia
2. Chicago
3. Georgia Tech
4. NC St

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Very good profile.
I have seen that UFL Industrial Engg has a PhD in Financial Engg option, why are you not applying in that. Is it still there or closed?
Why not do under Prof Stan Uryasev?
Which area in Finance you want to traget?
Moreover is your recommendation coming from professors who are into Finance?

I have thought about it, but at the end of the day I would rather not be in school for another 3 years. The program is definitely still available under Prof Stan Uryasev, who I actually may be doing my Honors Thesis under.

Right now I think I would like to be buy side and focus on risk hedging/portfolio optimization, but that could change before I make it to my program.

No, none of them study specifically finance. One will come from my manager at the internship I did, one will come from the professor who handles all of the programming classes for UF ISE, and the last will come from the Director of the ISE program at UF. While none of them are in finance, I still feel these are strong letters of recommendation.

Hi, I am also on the same track like you :)
You can try to do some job / internship and give a shot at CFA FRM SAS.

Buy side I think is more about deciding on buying under valued security and arbitrage hence broad knowlege of finance will help. Quant models buy side are mostly arbitrage based and quant trading for hedge funds.
Are you ok with non-quant on buy side hedge funds / private equity?

Seniors will be able to help

Back