• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation

Could someone take the time to evaluate my profile please? I am a double major mathematics and computer science student, looking to apply for MFE programs after my undergrad.

• Singaporean, Age 22
  • Currently in Y2 in NTU (T5 Asian Uni). Double major in Mathematics and Computer Science. cGPA of ~3.5/4.0, hoping to improve to a ~3.6/4.0 by the time I graduate.
  • Have not taken the GRE, planning to take it closer to graduation.
  • Work Experience:
    • Software Engineering internship at a edu-tech startup, doing full stack development
    • AI Scientist internship at a AI startup (unsure of the details because I haven't started on this internship yet, but most likely have to do with ML/Deep Learning stuff
    • 2 more internships when I am in Year 3 and Year 4, hoping for data scientist/SWE/data engineering internships
  • Coursework that I have taken so far:
    • Mathematics: Calculus I, II, III, Linear Algebra I, II, Discrete Mathematics, Probability and Statistics
    • Computer Science: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Object Oriented Programming, Computer Organization and Architecture, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, Introduction to Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
  • Coursework that I am planning to take in the future:
    • Mathematics: Statistics, Stochastic Processes, Simulation Techniques in Finance. Statistical Learning and Data Mining, Time Series Analysis
    • Computer Science: Machine Learning, Deep Learning
  • Planning to do a research project in my fourth year of university, and thus the topic is not confirmed yet
  • Planning to do CFA level 1 only to have a firm grasp on the fundamentals of finance

I am applying to top MFE programs in the US, namely Baruch, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Columbia, UCLA, Imperial Mathematics and Finance

The purpose of the MFE is to break into quant finance, particularly quant research/trader roles, and in the long term, as a quant PM.

Last edited:
Could someone do an honest evaluation of my profile / future plan please? As well as any recommended university courses I should take in my third and fourth year of university.

Last edited:
Your coursework and work experience both look good. GPA is a little weak but not horrible, definitely try to get that up as much as you can. I'd say you have a good shot at a highly-ranked program as long as you ace the GRE but the truth is that you can never be certain until you apply

A
Your coursework and work experience both look good. GPA is a little weak but not horrible, definitely try to get that up as much as you can. I'd say you have a good shot at a highly-ranked program as long as you ace the GRE but the truth is that you can never be certain until you apply
Alright, I’ll try to improve my GPA. Thanks for your feedback.

Back