• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Purpose of pricing models

Hello,

I'm still quite new to the world of quant finance, and I have been having a question that I can't really get an answer to, I'm not actually sure this question even makes sense. This might just be a reasoning issue that I'm having, so someone could probably enlighten me with a simple answer. Why do companies spend millions in research to develop new models for the pricing of options (or any other financial instrument)? At the very end, isn't the market going to decide for the price of those instruments? Let's imagine the whole market uses the "basic" Black-Scholes model to price a specific call option (let's say the BS call price is $10). Now, a certain quant comes up with a new, state-of-the-art model, that gives a more "mathematically" accurate price for the same call option (let's say $15). In that case, how can this model be used in practice, when everyone else is selling the call for $10? Why would someone suddenly decide to pay a higher price for an option, only based on the fact that it is more "mathematically accurate"? In fact, if every company use different models to price a specific derivative, isn't the market simply going to choose the one that has the lowest price?

That's like saying the market is gonna choose the lowest price for any stock. Why waste time and money reading financial statements to figure out the true accurate value of a stock like Buffett does. We need to do this because the market can be wrong and will eventually catch up to the more accurate model. Of course, with the caveat that markets can be slow to adjust. if a new model suggests that a call option is worth $15 while the market is pricing it at $10, it doesn't automatically mean that someone will pay $15 right away. However, it indicates that the option might be undervalued. Traders using this model might start buying the option at $10, and if enough market participants recognize this value discrepancy and act similarly, the market price could indeed move towards $15.

Well, I’m not an expert in quant finance but I believe the enormity of the OTC market really puts things into perspective. It’s not just larger than public markets, it's on a whole different scale. I think this is a main reason why “High Finance” spends such a huge portion of resources for pricing models. From what I believe, these sophisticated models are key for firms to accurately price and manage the risks of the unique deals they handle in the OTC market. Every deal there is a unique itself, so investing in these models is a strategy I believe makes perfect sense. It's all about staying sharp in a market where the usual rules might not apply, and I think that's what keeps firms ahead in this complex environment.

That's like saying the market is gonna choose the lowest price for any stock. Why waste time and money reading financial statements to figure out the true accurate value of a stock like Buffett does. We need to do this because the market can be wrong and will eventually catch up to the more accurate model. Of course, with the caveat that markets can be slow to adjust. if a new model suggests that a call option is worth $15 while the market is pricing it at $10, it doesn't automatically mean that someone will pay $15 right away. However, it indicates that the option might be undervalued. Traders using this model might start buying the option at $10, and if enough market participants recognize this value discrepancy and act similarly, the market price could indeed move towards $15.
Well-said.

What I think

what it matters is not the model that price vanillar option, you can invent thousands of model to price it, like use temperature or anything not relevant.

The key is calibration, if all the input, such as spot, interest rate are observable, you can compete in pricing, and try to profit by make a better price than competeor.

The reality is, paramters such as volatility, are not observable, so you can only assume the value from exchange, is fair. You calibrate those unobservable parameter, such as volatility, or jump coefficient(heston) from exchange traded option, then use those to price exotic option contract.

Also, use those parameter you "calibrated", to manage your risk. For example, if spot move, how vol surface going to change.

Back