• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pursuing Quant Finance from Non Branded Institute.

I seek an opinion.

Will it be advantageous in pursuing mater's in quant. finance from an university which is goint to commence its first batch from sept. 2012.

The institute is in France. http://www.eisti.fr/quantitative-finance-and-risk-management-master-degree

Its an institute located near Paris who has started ms in quant finance pilot batch this 2012 sept.

The most fascinating part is about its fees (Euro 6000) which is even cheaper than CQF.

The course content looks good.

I reside in India. How useful will it be to pursue a Master in QF degree from not a branded institute like this one and get a job back in India?
Plz advice..

Please go through the course and advise me on it.
Advises Appreciated..
Thanks in Advance.

Warm Regards,
aady

If they really teach what they indicate they will in the program overview, it will be a very rigorous and very comprehensive program.

I agree that the program overview looks impressive.

Sometimes, these relatively unknown universities are well known (brand-like) in their home country. If this is the case, the degree might be a very good opportunity for pursuing a career in France.

You could check if it's part of the "grand écoles" - which is the better universities in France... I'm not an expert myself, but I'm under the impression that people from these universities do quite well in Europe.

I personally am weary of American and British brand name universities, where the brand name serves only to extort exorbitant fees for a mediocre product.
I agree to some extent. The signalling value of having a degree from a US or UK brand name uni. is high although other programs can provide the same quality of teaching.

I just want to add something to:
I reside in India. How useful will it be to pursue a Master in QF degree from not a branded institute like this one and get a job back in India?
It's difficult to say, but if you're willing to work a year or two in France before returning to India, you should be able to do quite well in India - especially if you join a major financial institution like BNP pariba or Societe Generale.

They mention "The Master will end with a 22-week internship". Will people interpret this as a guaranteed internship they arrange for students?
Since this is new, I don't know how well run it will be.

Yes they are. The other day I tried asking them the same via email. This is what they replied- "To reply to your queries, we do guarantee a 22-week internship in a bank or a financial institution.

A lot of institutions such as Société Générale, BNP Paribas, AXA, HSBC, .... are used to take trainees from our specialization in Financial Engineering taught in French at the EISTI for the last 13 years. This new program taught in English will benefit from our strong recognation from the companies."

Thanks everyone for the great replies. The information and views provided by you all will help me to take a decision.:)

"The most fascinating part is about its fees (Euro 6000) which is even cheaper than CQF."

I don't know if you have made a thorough inquiry about the course.
But the "TOTAL PROGRAM FEE" is 12000 euros i.e. the program is in two parts M1 and M2. Tuition Fees for each of the part is 6000 euros. If you are familiar with modules in M1 you can go directly onto M2. If you have a look at information about the program on their web site, you can clearly find this information.

Hi, I hope to resurrect this thread, does anyone have any updates, Aady, did you end up applying or studying for the program ?

Hi, I applied and got admission for the batch starting in mar-2013. But not planning to do it!!!

Yess....
Thats why I didnot accept it!!!
Whats with you?
Did you apply or got admission?

I'm yet to apply, on the fence, but it definitely seems to be a good course, at this price point, I wonder why it isn't more popular. Btw, Aady, what's your profile and did you get any information as to what kind of a profile they need for direct to M2 ?

This is their pilot batch. So might be unpopular at this point in time. Yes i agree with you. Looks worth at this price point and like others mentioned above course content looks very impressive. The reason why they offered me from march because I had no maths background. A good degree with a lot maths will help you lend directly to M2
I suggest you also apply for ms in quant finance offered by nus. It is offered by their math department. I think they have started their admission process.
Good luck.
Let me know if I can help you out more on this!!

NUS also has a very good course to offer i.e. MS in Quant Fin which is different from MFE which is offered by their risk management department. So you can also consider that one as well. The course content also look promising. They donot have GRE or GMAT requirement.
http://ww1.math.nus.edu.sg/GPMQF.aspx

Back