• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about Kurtosis

I have some questions about Kurtosis and leptokurtic / platykurtic
I found different books said it differently.

for Wikipedia and Schweser's FRM study guide and some other books
Leptokurtic = positive (or >3) and it is peaked at the mean and with fat tail
Platykurtic = negative (or <3) and it is less peaked at the mean and with thin tail
Kurtosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But for some other books i.e. The Mathematics of Options Trading
The Mathematics of Options Trading - Google Book Search
says differently about the tails:
Leptokurtic => long and skinny/thin tail
Platykurtic => short and fat tail

I feel the second one is more convincing, do u guys have any idea?

I presume it depends where you look in the tail. You have to look outside a few standard deviations. If you look at a leptokurtic distribution and compare it with a platykurtic distribution, the tail does indeed look skinnier - close to the mean. But if you go further away, the tail doesn't decay nearly as quickly as it does for a standard curve. You have this tiny little bit that keeps going. That tiny little bit is what causes those "once in 10,000 year" events that happen every 5 years on wall street.

Back