• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question for the Part-timers . . .

Can any current or former part-time students from Baruch, and any other MFE program, help me out with the following questions regarding part-time study? I am trying to decide if i want to apply for part-time or full-time admission to MFE programs.

Well, here are my three questions:

1) What is the average amount time it takes for part-time students to complete a part-time MFE program?
2) How many classes do part-time students normally take per semester?
3) Also, are required courses for the MFE degree given during the summer or special sessions?

One of my major concerns is academic performance. I don't want to sacrifice earning the highest possible grades in my coursework due to the conflicts and distractions that may arise with working full-time (10 - 12 hour days) and completing a rigorous program. In addition, I am afraid that if it would take about three or more years to complete a program a part-time basis I could potentially forget some of the tools and skills acquired during the beginning years of the program.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

JSTAR

I am a part-time MFE started this year. Responses to your questions.

----

I am trying to decide if i want to apply for part-time or full-time admission to MFE programs.

[Stefan] MFE at Baruch does not differentiate between full-time and part-time. Same admission criteria, same classes etc.

1) What is the average amount time it takes for part-time students to complete a part-time MFE program?

[Stefan] 2 years, most likely 2.5 years.

2) How many classes do part-time students normally take per semester?

[Stefan] 2 classes. 3 is also possible depending on your background in 3rd class.

3) Also, are required courses for the MFE degree given during the summer or special sessions?

[Stefan] very few.
refresher courses are done summer-time before the program.

One of my major concerns is academic performance. I don't want to sacrifice earning the highest possible grades in my coursework due to the conflicts and distractions that may arise with working full-time (10 - 12 hour days) and completing a rigorous program.

[Stefan] Any MFE student can tell you that the program is pretty difficult. It is not a couple of hours of week of studying.
As a part-time student, I can tell you it is even more difficult. It is not easy to adapt to study a few hours a day when assignments requires over 8 hours of work. On the other hand, it is possible wit very good self-discipline and ambition.

In addition, I am afraid that if it would take about three or more years to complete a program a part-time basis I could potentially forget some of the tools and skills acquired during the beginning years of the program.

[Stefan] I don't think this should be a concern. You can graduate less than 3 years. You can also be dilligent to cover all text-books and more.

In addition, I am afraid that if it would take about three or more years to complete a program a part-time basis I could potentially forget some of the tools and skills acquired during the beginning years of the program.

[Stefan] I don't think this should be a concern. You can graduate less than 3 years. You can also be dilligent to cover all text-books and more.

Just to follow up: since you are in the job market from the beginning of the program, depending on your prior credentials, you may move into a relevant position before graduation. This will keep your skills current.

I spent 2 semesters as part-time student so I can give you some input
1) Normally, twice the time it takes a full-time student to graduate. This time varies among programs but some time between 2.5 - 3 years.
2) Half of what FT students take, usually 2 courses a semester. Some find it too difficult and take one hence increase the answer to part 1.
3) I don't know about other programs but Baruch only offer one course during the summer. It's not required but people take it to graduate faster and/or reduce the course load during the last semester (more time for job hunt).

In my experience, it takes toughness, discipline, sacrifice to succeed as a PT student. You have to spend weekends working on HW. You have to run from job to class. The academic standard is the same regardless of your schedule. It's a real issue that you may forget things quickly.

If you are working, grade shouldn't be your top priority (you still have to do better than B to get company tuition compensation). Try to get the most out of the program materials.

There are some programs that make it easy on part-time students but at Baruch, it isn't the case.

Of course it will depend on your job, but I know for my PT at Baruch is tough. Andy pretty much sums it up: run to class from work, do hw all weekend, code until 2am on some weekdays, grow bags under eyes, look tired all the time, drop all hobbies, lose non-school friends--you get the picture. But I'm not in debt :) and I won't be pressed to find a job after graduation.

Of course it will depend on your job, but I know for my PT at Baruch is tough. Andy pretty much sums it up: run to class from work, do hw all weekend, code until 2am on some weekdays, grow bags under eyes, look tired all the time, drop all hobbies, lose non-school friends--you get the picture. But I'm not in debt :) and I won't be pressed to find a job after graduation.

Kind of describes FT as well...

Hi JSTAR,
My experience is that I completed MFE as Part Time student within 3 years. Probably the most difficult year is the first one when as already been said you have to study all the weekends and nights and even take books and write some code on the job. But I can say this only regarding my first year, second and third year were easier in my opinion. May be because during first year you kind of build the core library for yourself which you can use in the following courses, so amount of writing code is reduced plus your brain starts thinking and working differently and you just get used to this schedule. I took two courses per semester for each year.

Everyone, thank you so much for your responses. This information has been very helpful.

Back