• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question: Non-symmetric random walk with stopping time

A random walk with a probability 0.7 being +1 and 0.3 being -1. Starting from 0
1. Walk 100 steps, what is the expectation at the end? ( easy )
2. Set a stop loss at -10, once the random walk hit -10 it stops there and use -10 as the final value. Walk 100 steps, what is the expectation?

Some friend of mine asked this, don't really know the answer for the second part. I guess it involves techniques like reflection?

Expectations are 40 for both question.
The process {X i-0.4*i} is martingale.

Expectations are 40 for both question.
The process {X i-0.4*i} is martingale.

Thanks for the reply. But I guess since we have a stopping time (\tau), that will change the problem a little bit. Let N = 100 and we have
(E[X_{\tau \land N}] - 0.4 E[\tau \land N] = 0)
This yields
( E[X_{\tau \land N}] = 0.4 E[\tau \land N]), since (\tau) has a positive probability to be smaller than N, the expectation will be smaller than 40.

The problem is can we find a easy way to find (E[\tau \land N]) ? I know there is some text book techniques but it is very complicated.

I think the key point is how to calculate p{ τ<=100}.
If we know this probability,the expectation will be(-10)*p+40*(1-p).
so i think we should first consider that probability of symmetric random walk. In that way,we can calculate the probability by reflection principle.My result is 1-p{x_100=10}-p{x_100=8}-p{x_100=6}-p{x_100=4}-p{x_100=2}-p{x_100=0}-p{x_100=-2}-p{x_100=-4}-p{x_100=-6}-p{x_100=-8}(all of this are under the symmetric probability measure). Then we transfer the symmetric probability measure to the real probability measure one by one by scaling the process(0.5/0.7)^#of heads*(0.5/0.3)^# of tails

I think the key point is how to calculate p{ τ<=100}.
If we know this probability,the expectation will be(-10)*p+40*(1-p).
so i think we should first consider that probability of symmetric random walk. In that way,we can calculate the probability by reflection principle.My result is 1-p{x_100=10}-p{x_100=8}-p{x_100=6}-p{x_100=4}-p{x_100=2}-p{x_100=0}-p{x_100=-2}-p{x_100=-4}-p{x_100=-6}-p{x_100=-8}(all of this are under the symmetric probability measure). Then we transfer the symmetric probability measure to the real probability measure one by one by scaling the process(0.5/0.7)^#of heads*(0.5/0.3)^# of tails

Thanks! I think this is what I am looking for. Can you refer me some text on the change of measure of discrete random walk? (I only saw the one for continuous process in Shreve II)

Hi, what about if the steps are not symmetric, i.e. left -1, right +2. How to solve this by using reflection principle? Thanks

Back