• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Rising Junior Pursuing an MFE

I am currently a rising Junior at a semi-target (think UVA, UMich, Northwestern), currently majoring in Economics and minoring in mathematics. I have always had a huge interest in trading and figuring out how the markets work, and recently after reading The Quants and a few other books on the subject I have become highly fascinated with quantitative finance. As of now I have knocked out calculus I through III and have taken a few statistics courses, and in the next two semesters I will be taking Econometrics and Time Series Analysis as well as lineage algebra and my universities C++ programing course.

In terms of work experience I had a finance based internship last summer at a BB (not in NY) doing the standard post-freshman year gig. This summer I am just working a job back home and have been reading as much as I can on the subject, both quantitative books as well as general background reading. My question is will my current route prepare me to enter into a MFE program? For the math minor I am required to take a lot of upper level classes that involve probability theory, risk theory, numerical analysis I, and mathematics of finance (which emphasizes black-scholes, monte-carlo, etc). I am trying to prepare myself the best way possible to enter this field and any advice could be helpful.

Thanks and sorry for the length!

You are on the right track, preparation-wise. Make sure you take the math courses that math-majors take, instead of the lite versions that liberal/business majors take.
You also need to take more than one C++ course to be able to compete, not just to get in MFE programs but to do well in when you get there and be job-ready as the hunt for internship starts the in your first MFE semester. Learn VBA/SQA, etc.

Back