• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCLA MFE Round 1 2024 Fall admissions interviews UCLA MFE

I received my video interview around the 10th of January. I thought you guys were talking about an invitation to an interview with alum/admissions.

I received mine on Tuesday and Have a interview deadline for 9th 11:59 pm PST.
3 Questions were technical one was related to finance. I was able to answer one technical, one finance one, and I didn't know what to do in case of other two, I made an educated guess in one and wasn't able to do much in other. I don't know If I will be selected or not to be honest

congratulations! how was your interview experience?
Thanks!!

I received my interview invitation around 10th of January. Like the previous threads have said, the interview were video interviews that had 3-4 behavioral questions and 3-4 technical questions that ask you to solve the questions and walk through your process. The behavioral interviews were pretty much the same as what you would expect from other video interviews (Why MFE, Why UCLA, career goals...). The technical questions were essentially maths and finance questions (nothing too advanced but require some familiarity with advanced cal, linear algebra, differential equations).

No interviews with admissions/alumni. I think the video interview is the only interview you get (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Got accepted by UCLA MFE. I have been so stressed about not having any offers, and now I can finally take a break from thinking about my applications
You must not have added anything in our Tracker. Everyone who used our Tracker has at least one admit, mostly more than one. Maybe superstitious but what our data shows. Now that you have one admit under the belt, may the rest go as planned.
Happy New Year to all our Asian members.

Thanks!!

I received my interview invitation around 10th of January. Like the previous threads have said, the interview were video interviews that had 3-4 behavioral questions and 3-4 technical questions that ask you to solve the questions and walk through your process. The behavioral interviews were pretty much the same as what you would expect from other video interviews (Why MFE, Why UCLA, career goals...). The technical questions were essentially maths and finance questions (nothing too advanced but require some familiarity with advanced cal, linear algebra, differential equations).

No interviews with admissions/alumni. I think the video interview is the only interview you get (correct me if I'm wrong).
How difficult is the math? As a working professional, I have been out of touch for a while. Do I need to go back and revise?

How difficult is the math? As a working professional, I have been out of touch for a while. Do I need to go back and revise?
The level of difficulty varies across questions, but it does test you on whether you know some basic mathematical principles. I would say definitely go back and revise the basics. For example, learn about different matrix theories for linear algebra, basic differentiation techniques (total and partial) for calculus, and probability and statistics theories. I can't say for sure if any of these will be tested, but they do want to find out if you know specific maths concepts (not the kind of brain-teaser maths you might expect from professional interviews for hedge fund, so no tricks).

I have not studied maths for 2 years, so I have shallow impressions of mathematical concepts. I completely understand your situation. My best advice is to go over the notes/textbooks/assignments for the maths classes you took and see if that brings back some memory. Good luck!

Received an interview invite and gave the interview yesterday. 7 questions; 3 behavioural, 3 math ( system of linear equations, estimation, recursions ) , 1 finance.

The questions were fairly simple, did not require any prior prep.

I wanted to know from those who have received offers, after how many days of completing the interview did you get confirmation of an admit?

I gave my interview yesterday. 3 questions were behavioural, the other four were technical. I think I got two of them wrong, since I have no prior background in coding/calculus. Just wanted to know if that will lead to a rejection or if I still have a chance.

Back