• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Score

radosr

Baruch MFE Faculty
Two competitors play badminton. They play two games, each winning one of them.
Then they play a third game to determine the overall winner of the match.
The winner of a game of badminton is the first player to score at least 21 points with a lead of at least 2 points over the other player.
In this particular match, it is observed that the scores of each player listed in order of the games form
an arithmetic progression with a nonzero common difference.

What are the scores of the two players in the third game?

In this particular match, it is observed that the scores of each player listed in order of the games form
an arithmetic progression with a nonzero common difference.
Can you be more clear on the order of the player scores?

1) Both progressions are increasing. Then clearly the loser of the first game - say player I - wins the series because he overtakes the other player by larger leaps. Assume player I's scores are (a<a+d<a+2d), where the last two are winning scores. If (a+d>21), player II's scores in games 2 and 3 must be (a+d-2,a+2d-2), respectively. But then his score in game 1 must be (a-2), which is impossible. So we must have (a+d=21). This means that player II's game 2 score is (\leq 19). However, his game 1 score must be (\geq 21) because he won that game. This means that his scores are in decreasing order - a contradiction. So we can't have both progressions be increasing.

2) Both progressions are decreasing. Then the loser of the first game - say player I - wins the series because his decreases are smaller. Assume player I's scores are (a>a-d>a-2d), where the last two are winning scores. This means (a,a-d>21), from which we get that player II's scores in the first two games are (a+2,a-d-2), which means that his score in the third game is (a-2d-6). But this is 6 less than player I's score in that game, which means that player I's score in that game must be exactly 21. This makes 21-15 the final score of game 3.

3) One increases, the other decreases. Clearly the increasing one wins the series. Assume player I's scores are (a<a+d<a+2d). If he wins games 2 and 3 , then (a+d\geq 21). If (a+d>21) then as in case (1) we get a contradiction. So we must have (a+d=21). His scores are then (21-d < 21 < 21+d), and player II's scores are, say, (a > b > 19+d). But clearly (b\leq 19) since player II lost the second game, making (b>19+d) a contradiction.

So the only possibility is 21-15.

Back