• Visit the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking career switching advice (Moving from BO to FO)

I'm currently working for one of the BB banks on the data side for about 10 month so far. (I'm now 24, each of my master degrees cost me 1 year, if knowing my age would help in the career switch plan...) They give me an AVP/associate level saying that considering me having two Masters (one in Finance from Johns Hopkins University, one in Statistics from Baruch College). The hours and pay are well (9AM-5:30PM, and low 6 digit base, I guess no bonus though. or 5K?..something like that...).

However, I'm not really a big data fan and I have always been trying to get into FO doing quant trading. I have passed my CFA level III this June (Well, I know CFA doesnt help regarding quant trading).

What I'm thinking right now is (1) I'm planning to apply for the MSCF program at CMU, it offer part-time program, and I really need my current salary to pay for the tuition and my living expense. (2) I'm trying to find a Quant trading job using internal career mobility system. But I am kinda "far away" from the FO, so I'm trying to figure out how to network with FO people.

Are there any suggestions that I can have from you guys? I really appreciate them! =)

(Regarding my programming skills, I program SAS/SQL very intensively now. In my spare time, I wrote some vanilla option(AM,EU,ASIAN)/CDS pricing model from scratch in C++/VBA/MATLAB -- one program in 3 version just to get used to the language environment. )

Back