• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Senior in high school who wants to be a Quant. What can I do to achieve my career goal?

I've already been accepted to UC Berkeley and plan to study CS & Applied Math. I believe my major selection will give me the background to do well in FE. In high school, I pursued research(Stats/CS project to prevent a medical condition from occurring(can't go into detail)) and internships(one at startup and other at a Fortune 100—contributed to a ML project) and competitions(AIME—2 time DHR qualifier, Platinum Medalist USACO, Awarded for research).

My question is primarily: what can I do starting now to get into a top MFE program like Cal Haas MFE or CMU MCF? And will attending Cal hurt me for getting into these top programs? Since it's a really difficult school and I don't think I can maintain a 3.8+ GPA. I really want to get into these top programs mainly due to the success of job placement from those schools. For example, Cal's MFEs get paid ~150k starting. Most other programs don't have this level success and many are even worse than Cal's Bachelors in CS who get paid ~100k on graduation, which would make getting an MFE worthless.

If you are aiming for MFE directly after undergrad, then I think, as you suspect, you would need a high GPA (3.7+) and a perfect GRE Quant score. Since you're still in h.s., perhaps just focus on developing good habits for now so you can set yourself up for college. I would recommend Cal Newport's 2 books on college success and his "Deep Work" -- it might help you learn more efficiently and maintain a higher GPA.

If you don't achieve a super high GPA and end up somewhere around 3.6, you probably have a good chance of getting a decent first-job out of undergrad, and you can always re-apply after a year of working. The admissions standard is probably slightly lower for someone with work experience.

I would think that since you'll be a student at Berkeley, you can probably schedule a meeting with the MFE office just to chat about suggested preparation, like best undergrad coursework.

berkeley undergrad doesn't need mfe. i graduated from a lesser UC. even i managed to get into quant work without a master degree

Back