• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

(Simple) probability questions

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions I was asked in an interview:

1) You roll a pair of fair dice. If no 6 appears, you keep rolling both until at
least one 6 appears. What is the probability that when you stop, both dice show 6s?
2) I roll a pair fair dice. I choose one of the two dice at random
and tell you the result, e.g. “I have rolled at least one 3”. What is the probability from your
point of view that I have rolled a double (in the example, a double 3, of course)?

My answer to both questions was P=1/11. My approach was that in both cases the sample space was reduced from 36 possibilities, to 11.

One of the answers was wrong, but this was an online test and I wasn't told which. Can someone help me figuring which?

Thanks

Back