• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Specified Graduate Degree over MFE?

To give a bit of background (I'll keep it general), I've completed my undergrad majoring in Finance, minor in Maths. I am currently working at a large asset manager. I am heavily considering going back for a graduate degree and debating which is the proper path. My goal is to stay in the FO but eventually move to either a tier one BB or a top firm like Citadel, etc. That is merely a long term goal, not thinking I'll just get the degree and they'll hire me!

Coming out of undergrad I was fixated on obtaining an MFE but now under the impression that a degree in a hard science would be more attractive. Thinking something like a masters in statistics or CS. Since I am not coming from an engineering/physics/pure math background, I feel at a disadvantage and want to solidify my quantitative look to employers.

I would genuinely appreciate any input!

Not a simple answer. "Front Office" can mean so many different things. If you want to get into S&T, ER, or IB, all of those prefer either internships from undergrads or Ivy League MBAs. MFE is not the right path.

If you are looking for a pure quant role MFE is just as good as a masters in Stats (for example) but university does matter if you are looking to go from school straight into a new job. Though if you are at a well known asset manager I'm not sure why you even need a masters. Is it to learn or to improve your chances?

Not a simple answer. "Front Office" can mean so many different things. If you want to get into S&T, ER, or IB, all of those prefer either internships from undergrads or Ivy League MBAs. MFE is not the right path.

If you are looking for a pure quant role MFE is just as good as a masters in Stats (for example) but university does matter if you are looking to go from school straight into a new job. Though if you are at a well known asset manager I'm not sure why you even need a masters. Is it to learn or to improve your chances?
maybe his role is not as desirable?

IntoDarkness hit the nail on the head here. Interesting point you make here MRoss, please keep in mind my ignorance here as I'm young, about the value of an MBA. Maybe I've been misguided by internet haters and some professionals but I was under the assumption that the MBA has lost its value in the S&T world (not talking strats or supporting roles). I was thinking that an MFE or a more quantitative degree was becoming increasingly more desirable. A bit of a loaded question, but can you elaborate on your point and lend some industry insight? (How things are shifting, recommendations for grad school paths)

I'm looking at grad school as both a learning experience as well as a way to transition to a better role and stay relevant in an ever changing industry. If I were to never go back to graduate school I don't think I'd have a great deal of trouble transitioning to my desired role but I see the degree as a way to elevate myself. Keep in mind this is a long term goal (3-5 years) and please take my word with a grain of salt.

Back