• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Stanford MS&E

What does it take to get in? Feels like they take very few people, only the best of the best

IMO? 3.9+/4.0 g.p.a, extremely strong letters of recommendation and then something special about you. Published research in a big time journal, couple years of work experience as a quant researcher. Some other related distinguishing factors would help as well, but I would argue those are the three most significant.

What does it take to get in? Feels like they take very few people, only the best of the best
Is this the ICME program with the MCF stream?

Or the management science program with the finance analytics stream?

If it's the latter, a friend of a friend got in a few years ago with a solid but unspectacular profile.

Is this the ICME program with the MCF stream?

Or the management science program with the finance analytics stream?

If it's the latter, a friend of a friend got in a few years ago with a solid but unspectacular profile.
Was talking about the latter! Thanks for clarifying

I kind of know I'm not good enough for ICME haha, but was wondering if MS&E is worth a shot

Was talking about the latter! Thanks for clarifying

I kind of know I'm not good enough for ICME haha, but was wondering if MS&E is worth a shot
The friend of a friend is a T20 electrical/computer engineering grad. He worked in a bulge bracket firm for a few years as a risk modeler before the market took a nose dive. Then he'd been working in odd finance jobs for a couple of years before applying to the MS&E program you mentioned, and got in.

If I remember correctly, he got solid grades (GPA 3.8~3.9). But other than that, he doesn't have any out-of-this-world credentials.

Now that you have jolted my memory, I also remember coming across somebody years ago who studied in Stanford's MSc in Financial Math program, before it was abolished and merged into ICME. She basically graduated from a no-name university in southern China with a degree in info systems or something similar. Then again, this was in ancient times (pre-financial crisis) so don't expect that the admission standards are the same now.

Last edited:
Back