• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Thoughts on MSc Quantitative Finance Program

Hello,

I am very interested in pursuing a career as a quant as I very much enjoy economic/financial data analysis and quant modeling. I'm currently studying Quantitative Economics consists of quant methods much beyond the scope of regular BSc Economics programs and have experience using R software for my stats courses. After graduating I am thinking of enrolling to a MSc Quantitative Finance program in my home city, but I am aware there is skepticism about these programs as there are some good and some bad. I'm wondering if the content of this particular course is good/relevant for current industry practice. In my opinion, from the research I have done, it seems quite good but I would like further validation from more knowledgeable people in these matters.

Here is a link to the course: https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-taught/quantitative-finance-msc/

The taught semesters are as follows;

Semester 1;
Asset Pricing
Market Microstructure
Research in Finance (Econometrics course, R programming)
Corporate Finance

Semester 2;
Derivatives (stochastic calculus/processes etc)
Computational methods in finance (Matlab programming, topics such as Monte Carlo, Dimension reduction, binomial trees, SDEs)
Trading principles (Python programming, Algorithmic trading)
Time series- econometrics (Further econometrics, R programming)

The dissertation phase of the course consists of a choice between a theoretical topic or an industry focused intern/consultancy project with local FinTech firms (one being SIG (Susquehanna)).

Any comments, thoughts about this program would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

*Shrug* -- without knowing more it looks like just another "me-too" program offering a set of generic introductory courses. The following claim should be taken with a pinch of salt:

This MSc will equip students with the cutting-edge quantitative and computational techniques and strategies used by leading financial firms.

The one redeeming feature of this program is its relatively low cost -- 6,500 pounds.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the feedback.

Is there any other information about the course that I could provide that would allow you to give a more reasoned opinion? Do 'me too' programs offering generic courses lead to quant jobs? (perhaps the answer to this is obvious).

The university also offers an MSc in applied mathematics, that is my plan b if I deem the quant finance course to be a waste.

Thanks again.

Do 'me too' programs offering generic courses lead to quant jobs? (perhaps the answer to this is obvious).

The university also offers an MSc in applied mathematics, that is my plan b if I deem the quant finance course to be a waste.

It may not be a waste -- they might teach you material you don't already know. At least it's not as hideously expensive as US programs. Whether it leads to a job, and what kind of job, is something I don't know about.

Is there any other information about the course that I could provide that would allow you to give a more reasoned opinion?

It's needs to have a bit more detail on what each module actually covers. For instance here is the structure of the MSc I did. https://www101.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=MFM&yr=2018. I'm not saying you should necessarily look at this course or anything, just take note of the depth given in each module. Even then after this MSc, I needed to bone up on books like Hull and programming books just to get up to speed on what was expected for technical interviews.

Queens Uni has a decent reputation, but that's no guarantee it's not a "Mee Too" program. Either get something more detailed from them or find people that did it before, or better still speak to someone in the sector that has interviewed graduates from this MSc.

Part of the problem is if interviewers have had bad experiences with people from the program you mightn't even get an interview. Another thing is that in a quant role you will be expected to produce straight away - for instance in my first job I had to deliver my first bit of work within 3 days of joining and the role was always like that. The problem is that any old dickhead can learn off Ito's Lemma and learn off derivations in financial maths, but throw them into my first job and they would be lost as the products weren't equity derivatives and they might even think "this is completely different". The thing was that, even though I hadn't done anything on credit derivatives in my masters, I was able to use my course material to price them without little fuss as the course went deeper and we did projects using models other than Black Scholes.

You need a course where you learn the foundations right from the measure theory/analysis up to probability and SDEs plus do some pretty in depth data projects actually programming properly.

Do 'me too' programs offering generic courses lead to quants jobs? (perhaps the answer to this is obvious).

This may be a bit dramatic, but the situation described here is probably more common then we would like to think. https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-en...qualifications-do-I-need-to-obtain-a-position

Whether it happens to you after a "MeToo" program is hard to say, but it's very hard these days to do a STEM degree and postgrad and get a "gap job" (e.g. accountancy) until you get the job you really want. It's not impossible, but the problem is that you can get f***ed from both ends where in a role that is non-math/non-quant your studies mean nothing, but where in a quant or math based role your studies aren't good enough as the course wasn't great.

The following claim should be taken with a pinch of salt:
This MSc will equip students with the cutting-edge quantitative and computational techniques and strategies used by leading financial firms.

As should the comments about doing a project with a firm in the industry. The thing is I've worked in many firms and internships and work experience varies drastically yet they would all have the same title of "intern" or "work experience". For instance in one firm I was at interns did a standard few weeks, did useful work and often got hired afterwards, wheras at another they did f*** all for a week or 2 and mainly we just sat down and gave them an overview of what we did. Unis know seeing terminology about work experience on a prospectus sucks the punters in and that people are usually so terrified of unemployment that they never consider that there is a such thing as useless work experience. Again you need to get more detail, ideally from someone that did the course and knew what they were doing. i.e. is this a proper project and do you do the coding (e.g. in many programming courses you get given the code).

Last edited:
The DCU PDE course looks a bit vanilla-flavoured and not geared to computational finance. There's more in life than the heat equation.

It's the kind of PDE stuff that one sees in a 2nd year undergrad maths degree. Just saying.

Last edited:
Liam, thanks very much for your informative reply - greatly appreciated. I had a look through the course you sent there. It seems that course is more based on the theoretical aspects of mathematical finance and it seems to be somewhat lacking in computation? Whereas, the MSc I am interested in is more computational (of course I could be completely wrong about this). I probably should mention that the course was originally called 'Computational finance and trading' but was changed to quant finance to make it more marketable - apparently. I think the content between these two courses is roughly similar, maybe there is more probability and PDEs in the DCU one. However, the time series course doesn't look very 'advanced' at all.

Unfortunately this uni's course structure isn't quite as easy to get as DCU;

Module Information | Queen's University Belfast

here is a link to the module information of every course at the uni, if you pick finance from the list and scroll down to the bottom of the listed modules you will find the 8 modules I mentioned in my first post and the content of the module and learning outcomes etc.

You'll find out more information about the courses that way but I will copy and paste the course contents here to save trouble.

Asset pricing;
The aims of this module are to:

(i) provide students with the necessary theoretical and analytical tools which underpin the pricing of assets;

(ii) familiarize students with the environment of a trading room

Areas to be covered include:

Overview of main markets; how firms and governments raise finance; financial instruments; trading securities.
Valuation
Valuing stocks.
Asset returns and portfolio theory
Measuring asset returns; theory of choice under uncertainty; mean-variance portfolio theory.
Asset-pricing models
Assessing the theoretical and empirical validity of various asset pricing models.
Equity markets
EMH; anomalies; behavioural finance

Market Microstructure;
The aim of this module is to ensure that students understand the structure, dynamics and trading mechanisms of global financial markets, as well as appreciate the role of key institutions involved in these markets.

Areas to be covered:
1. Firstly, we analyse the role, structure and economic principles of the key players participating in financial markets.
2. Secondly, we examine the function and characteristics of two key markets: fixed income and foreign exchange.
3. Thirdly, we will analyse the trading mechanics of financial markets, and in doing so, we will examine the development and organisation of major exchanges.

Research methods in finance;

The purpose of this course is to provide a comprehensive introduction to econometric techniques used in finance. It contains a treatment of classical regression and an introduction to time series techniques. There will be an emphasis on applied work using econometric packages.

The course is designed to give students both theoretical and practical experience of statistical and econometric techniques. A wide range of topics is typically covered including the basic regression model, which includes a discussion of the classical violations of this model and methods for their correction. Students will learn a computer statistical software package, Stata (I'm going to use R since I already know it). Assessment: assignments and class based assessments.

Also, I already know most of the stuff that will be covered in this module so I am thinking I could use the time to go through Hastie - 'Introduction to Statistical learning' (And hopefully be able to use some techniques in my project) which I think will be valauble to have a working knowledge of for industry

Corporate finance;

Course Description:

The purpose of this course is to analyse how corporations make major financial decisions. The theory of corporate behaviour is discussed and the relevance of each theoretical model is examined by an empirical analysis of actual corporate decision making.

Course Aim:

(i) familiarize students with the issues confronting corporations when making investment and financing decisions;

(ii) develop the ability of students to obtain corporate information from the Bloomberg database.

Course Coverage:

. Corporate Governance

. Investment Appraisal

. Dividend Policy

. Capital Structure

. Initial Public Offerings

. Mergers and Acquisitions

Derivatives;

The aim of this course is to develop in students a theoretical and practical knowledge of derivative instruments.

This module provides participants with an exhaustive coverage of widely used derivative products stressing pricing and uses for financial engineering and risk management. The module provides an overview of derivative instruments, markets, participants and uses. It focuses on the pricing and uses of futures, forwards and options. The cost of carry relationship, the binomial approach, the Black-Scholes model and its variants are detailed to equip participants with the basic tools for pricing derivatives. The module examines practical uses of derivative securities as risk management tools for corporations and financial institutions.

THE MOVEMENT OF FUTURES PRICES: some basic facts. CTAs, managed futures, hedge funds. Financialization of Commodity Markets. Time series momentum.

MEAN VARIANCE APPROACHES TO HEDGE RATIO DETERMINATION, STOCK INDEX FUTURES AND HEDGING EFFECTIVENESS: The mean-variance approach to hedge ratio construction. Hedging with stock index futures. Hedging effectiveness and hedge ratio estimation - OLS, ECM and GARCH procedures. Duration and Expiration effects.

THE STOCHASTIC PROCESS OF ASSET PRICES AND THE DERIVATION OF THE BLACK-SCHOLES MODEL:The Wiener process and rare events in financial markets; Ito processes; Ito's lemma; generalised Ito's lemma; Black-Scholes differential equation; Black-Scholes pricing formula; options on stocks paying known dividends; pseudo-American model; option on stock indices, currency options and options on futures;

VOLATILITY: Estimating volatility: historical; implied - application of Newton-Raphson. Empirical characteristics of volatility: smiles; term structure skew; mean reversion; Forecasting volatility: application of GARCH; empirical evidence of volatility forecasts - implied versus historical; Bisection.

EXOTIC OPTIONS: Types of exotic options - barrier options; lookback options; strike options; binary or digital options; compound options; and chooser options.

INTEREST RATE DERIVATIVES: The standard market models; models of short rate; HJM and LMM models.

RISK AND REGULATION WITH EMPHASIS ON VALUE AT RISK: Regulation of Financial Institutions; value at risk and forecast accuracy; capital adequacy and value at risk; value at risk and the variance covariance approach; value at risk and non-parametric methods such as historical simulation and bootstrapping; value at risk and linear and non-linear positions.

CREDIT RISK AND CREDIT DERIVATIVES: Default probabilities; Recovery rates; Default correlation; Credit default swaps; Asset-backed securities.

REAL OPTIONS: The option to expand, contract, default, abandon and switch. The valuation of real options in the face of compoundness, interaction between options and ownership. Real options and the valuation of internet companies.

Computational methods in finance;

i. develop the students' computational skills

ii. introduce a range of numerical techniques of importance to financial engineering

iii. understand how to develop models using MATLAB

A primer on derivatives pricing

o Bonds, forwards, options

o Yield curves

o Probability distributions

o Expectation theory

MATLAB

o Arrays and matrices

o Scripts, functions and classes

o Programming constructs

Numerical Methods

o Root finding

o Interpolation

o Linear Algebra

Lattice based models

o Binomial trees

Numerical solutions to stochastic differential equations

o Finite difference methods

The fundamentals of Monte Carlo simulation

o Random number generation

o Monte Carlo integration

o Monte Carlo simulation

o Variance Reduction

Principal Component Analysis

o Dimension reduction

Numerical optimisation

o Model calibration

Time series econometrics;

(i) provide students with knowledge of the econometric methods and techniques used in the analysis of time series finance information.

(ii) apply the empirical techniques using economic and financial data.

Statistical Properties of Financial Returns

Stylised Facts about Financial Returns; Distribution of Asset Returns; Time Dependency; Linear Dependency across Asset Returns

Univariate Time Series and Applications to Finance

Wold's Decomposition Theory; Properties of AR Processes; Properties of Moving Average Processes; Autoregressive Moving Average (ARMA) Processes; The Box-Jenkins Approach; Example: A Model of Stock Returns

Modelling Volatility - Conditional Heteroscedastic Models

ARCH Models; GARCH Models; Estimation of GARCH Models; Forecasting with GARCH Model; Asymmetric GARCH Models; The GARCH-in-Mean Model

Modelling Volatility and Correlations - Multivariate GARCH Models

Multivariate GARCH Models; The VECH Model; The Diagonal VECH Model; The BEKK Model; The Constant Correlation Model; The Dynamic Correlation Model; Estimation of a Multivariate Model

Vector Autoregressive Models

Vector Autoregressive Models; Issues in VAR; Hypothesis Testing in VAR; Example: Money Supply, Inflation and Interest Rate

Trading principles;

Part 1

These three simulation topics will focus on three distinct issues that form the foundation of modern finance:

Law of one price

Market efficiency

Price formation

Part 2

Automation in trading

Aims and objectives

Part 1

Students will derive core finance concepts by making their own financial decisions under real world conditions, and study several strategies that form the basis of many investment management practices. Students experience a range of environments that require actual valuation, investment, and risk management decisions, that will promote a deep understanding of the functioning of capital markets. The goal is to teach students how to learn finance through a unified framework for understanding relative valuation. This will help them stay current throughout their career.

Part 2

Students will understand the automating of trading and have a broad understanding of the prevalence of algorithms in the financial markets. Students will have hands on experience of algorithmic trading using a python based platform (iPython).

Also, I have uploaded a screenshot from the courses webinar giving details of past student placement. What (I think) is apparent is that there are not really any quant positions listed. Only the data analyst (for local machine learning fintech firm which is pretty cool), trade analyst and trader jobs look decent.

Hope this is helpful/good amount of information about the course.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.12.39.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 21.12.39.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
80% of this course content is fluff and indistinguishable. If you are lucky, you may end up as an analyst at some bank. If from day 1 you are not getting soaked in programming & learning at a higher level (stochastic calculus, optimization, time series etc at sem 1) & sem 2 reserved for higher electives then it's a rudderless program. Seek out programs that's computationally inclined that's where the jobs but again you must be prepared to enter such programs.

Hello,

I am very interested in pursuing a career as a quant as I very much enjoy economic/financial data analysis and quant modeling. I'm currently studying Quantitative Economics consists of quant methods much beyond the scope of regular BSc Economics programs and have experience using R software for my stats courses. After graduating I am thinking of enrolling to a MSc Quantitative Finance program in my home city, but I am aware there is skepticism about these progra
Part 2

Students will understand the automating of trading and have a broad understanding of the prevalence of algorithms in the financial markets. Students will have hands on experience of algorithmic trading using a python based platform (iPython).

Also, I have uploaded a screenshot from the courses webinar giving details of past student placement. What (I think) is apparent is that there are not really any quant positions listed. Only the data analyst (for local machine learning fintech firm which is pretty cool), trade analyst and trader jobs look decent.

matters.

Here is a link to the course: Quantitative Finance (MSc) | Queen's University Belfast

The taught semesters are as follows;

Semester 1;
Asset Pricing
Market Microstructure
Research in Finance (Econometrics course, R programming)
Corporate Finance

Semester 2;
Derivatives (stochastic calculus/processes etc)
Computational methods in finance (Matlab programming, topics such as Monte Carlo, Dimension reduction, binomial trees, SDEs)
Trading principles (Python programming, Algorithmic trading)
Time series- econometrics (Further econometrics, R programming)

The dissertation phase of the course consists of a choice between a theoretical topic or an industry focused intern/consultancy project with local FinTech firms (one being SIG (Susquehanna)).

Any comments, thoughts about this program would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Back