• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trading vs. Quant Research

Oh wow that reading list is so comprehensive. I really liked Shreve in general. I'm about halfway through and I feel so good when I read it because I actually understand line by line and that's how the concepts stay in my head.

Andy Nguyen: I've heard of Boost and Quantlib, actually I already have Boost installed and I know Quantlib runs with Boost. But what exactly can one do in efforts to get practical finance coding experience (ie. coding a strategy for pairs trading) without a platform? (Like, for example, what exactly could I make the code do without real-time info? I *could* get real-time info if I had a platform, but I would need one which works with Boost and Quantlib then, so that it would take my C++ code as input. Do you see what I'm trying to ask here?)

I have huge work exp in programming(Java) and know C++. As both are very similar(in main conecpts of OOPs and polymorphism) and are much different(in memory management-garbage collection etc), I think I should be fine with C++ within a few weeks.

My main query is that whether there are any programming-finance challenges/competitions etc where you can showcase your skills and can get involved with "real" application of programming in finance. That is something very useful for any MFE guy.

Before I graduate from current MFE program, I want to develop "great" skills in practical applications.

Oh wow that reading list is so comprehensive. I really liked Shreve in general. I'm about halfway through and I feel so good when I read it because I actually understand line by line and that's how the concepts stay in my head.

Andy Nguyen: I've heard of Boost and Quantlib, actually I already have Boost installed and I know Quantlib runs with Boost. But what exactly can one do in efforts to get practical finance coding experience (ie. coding a strategy for pairs trading) without a platform? (Like, for example, what exactly could I make the code do without real-time info? I *could* get real-time info if I had a platform, but I would need one which works with Boost and Quantlib then, so that it would take my C++ code as input. Do you see what I'm trying to ask here?)

You don't need real-time info , get a database of all the stocks/bonds/etc you want.
Lets say over 2011, and run your programs using that data, your algorithm doesn't know if its running on real-time or on historical data.
If your algorithm is able to predict the next historical datapoint than there is a good chance it will do so in real-time too.

Back