• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Trouble getting interviews

Hey all,

I'm currently a PhD student who's been trying to break into the quant space but having trouble. I literally don't get any interviews. I've applied to a lot of positions for around 2 months but haven't got any response.

I have quite a lot of development experience in C++ and quite a bit of python/Matlab too. I've done a fair bit of Machine Learning and am conversant with time series analysis too.

Would anyone be willing to look at my CV and tell me what I could be doing wrong? I'm beginning to suspect it's because I'm not from a top university. I'm looking for jobs in London.

I'm not from a finance background but I've exhausted my list of connections within the finance industry. Currently I'm down to applying on job boards.

Do you have any suggestions about how I could approach this? Possibly randomly attending Quant meetups in London?

I'm not from a finance background but I've exhausted my list of connections within the finance industry. Currently I'm down to applying on job boards.

Do you have any suggestions about how I could approach this? Possibly randomly attending Quant meetups in London?
Expand your list of connections.

Taylor your resume to the job you are applying.

Read the posts by this dude. It's fascinating:

https://www.quantnet.com/search/2883257/

Thanks Andy and pingu. That had some useful information.

One thing I'd like to mention is that being an international student, internships are not an option for me as the government literally doesn't let me work more than 20 hours a week outside of my PhD. I'm looking for full-time entry level positions.

Based on the links you sent me, it seems like a good option for me is to talk to a professor within the economics/Management departments in my university and see if they can find me a connection.

PS: As my experience is more in the Machine Learning and S/W dev side, I'll probably need to look at roles that use more of those ( buy side ) as opposed to traditional derivative pricing roles.

Another option might be to get into a more Machine Learning role in the tech industry and then move into finance with a bit of industry experience.

Start calling recruiters in london and see who will bite your profile and some could give you realistic inputs as well on your chances. Never rely on one, have a team of 2/3 to do your bidding.

Get a remote secretary who can manage your linkedin and outsource the networking part on your behalf w/ specific instructions. Quantify the process.

Thanks Andy and pingu. That had some useful information.

One thing I'd like to mention is that being an international student, internships are not an option for me as the government literally doesn't let me work more than 20 hours a week outside of my PhD. I'm looking for full-time entry level positions.

Based on the links you sent me, it seems like a good option for me is to talk to a professor within the economics/Management departments in my university and see if they can find me a connection.

PS: As my experience is more in the Machine Learning and S/W dev side, I'll probably need to look at roles that use more of those ( buy side ) as opposed to traditional derivative pricing roles.

Another option might be to get into a more Machine Learning role in the tech industry and then move into finance with a bit of industry experience.

Back