• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Two Licentiates

Hi, I have a Licentiate in Mathematics and a Licentiate in Computer Science, I want to know if I should do a PhD to work as a Quant.

I would also like to know if Quant is the top paying job I can have with this two Licentiates in the Finance World.

I'm from Argentina, don't know how difficult might it be for me to get a job in Wall Street...

Depends on what you understand a "quant" does, you may get similar jobs without spending the next few years for another degree. The general advice is do NOT study PhD to get into industry.
The only way to find out if it's difficult to get job is to APPLY. Being in South America, getting a job on Wall Street is difficult.
I would suggest that you go through our basic reading list first so that you can better understand and express your goal of pursuing a career as a quant.
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/ma...uants-mfe-financial-engineering-students.535/

I have already read all those books. Without any experience whatsoever, which companies could I apply to? Is it easier to get a job in Europe?

I studied in the University of Buenos Aires. Here, I'm probably the first one looking for a financial career after having a Licentiate in Mathematics. Unfortunately, I have no such thing as University's career service office. I'm in Argentina not the USA:(... Most of the graduates with the same licentiate work here in the university or teach math and do research in universities like MIT. I have no possibility for an internship unless there is something for three months, between December and March.

JM,

1. Get used to American-like degrees. You should say BSc. or, depending on how much research work have you done in your "licenciate", put an MSc. "Licenciate" does not mean what you intend to say.

2. You won't get a job at RenTec. I know a guy who knows Jim Simons and has a former PhD student working there. Well, this guy is top researcher in dynamical systems, I'm talking about UCLA, Princeton ... I won't give more details because it would narrow it down too much as to who he is.

Licenciate sounds to me to retire from the army as a veteran.

Your word is "licenciado" which comes from the French in the latin world. That, as I already told you, is traslated to a BSc. degree.

No, Licentiate is MSc not BSc.

And why is that? have you published a research paper or done any postgraduate work?

Warming up your chair during 5 years until someone gives you a fancy paper doesn't imply you have done certain tasks. It is a matter of definitions, a concept I am sure you have heard about.

You would have more useful inputs if you use alternative words instead of "licentiates". Majority of members here are US-based so they aren't familiar with that education system. A lot of people here have MS in CS/Math, and wrote thesis but it isn't clear what the differences.
I suspect the answers to your original question boil down to what you can do for employers, not what degree you have.

You would have more useful inputs if you use alternative words instead of "licentiates". Majority of members here are US-based so they aren't familiar with that education system. A lot of people here have MS in CS/Math, and wrote thesis but it isn't clear what the differences.
I suspect the answers to your original question boil down to what you can do for employers, not what degree you have.

Thanks

First try to find jobs which require the level of education you have. Going for a job which has been advertised for a Phd is not going to help. Also trying to land job at the best/highest paying companies isn't as easy as you may think because there are many like you who are fighting for that position. So be reasonable with your expectations but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't look for a good job. Be realistic!
Yes get used to USA system of degree if you are looking for a job in USA.

Back