• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

U of Minnesota Math Finance program

Why does the U of MN Fin Math program not carry as much weight with the community as, say, U Chicago or U Mich? The Minnesota Engineering/Math/Econ programs are all top 10-15 world-wide and their Fin Math program was started by someone who was involved with the start of U Chicago's Program. The syllabus for the program (http://www.math.umn.edu/finmath/syllabi/#500x) looks like they cover everything that other programs cover.

What are the prospects for this program going forward?

Just looking for guidance.

would be interested if anyone had some input on this too. u of mn is a great school. only thing i could think of this: the program is relatively new (correct me if i'm wrong?) and doesn't have an alumni network that can compete with the tier 1 schools. also i just can't picture many NY area placements. that is what everyone seems to be obsessed with. probably more of a regional school. this isn't all bad. minneapolis and chicago are great cities to work in. besides the weather haha. but this is pure speculation. i'm sure someone else will weigh in eventually.

The location and weather aren't exactly something prospective students will be excited about. The program certainly did not benefit from past management, career service and focus, or lack thereof.
It's important that they recognize the problems and work to address it. From the discussion Quantnet has with the program's new Executive Director Laurie Derechin who happens to be a member here, they have been working hard to improve and change the program's image . A few of the things she mentioned that the program is working on: more focus on placement, get more employers involved, start a speakers series, work with IAFE, etc.

This by no means is an endorsement on my part but I applaud their effort to increase awareness of the program and try to listen to their students feedback. This is more than I can say about many programs who don't realize that they need to think and operate like a business.

So go talk to them, email and ask hard questions. Ask to be put in contact with current students and alumni. If they mean business, they are more than happy to answer any inquiries.

Back