• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCLA MFE vs Cornell MFE

recommendation?

• UCLA MFE

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Cornell MFE

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters
Hey there, wanted to get an idea of the strengths of both programs and specifically, which one is better for a fresh undergrad - from the job perspective and the environment in both schools.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you cannot go wrong with either program, but would give an edge to Cornell for their CFEM seminar series and the CFEM resources in general (Cornell Financial Engineering Manhattan | Operations Research and Information Engineering). The UCLA MFE does seem to place well into Los Angeles-based asset managers and hedge funds, e.g. WAMCO, Sancus, so if staying in LA is of interest to you and/or you are leaning towards wanting to work on the buy-side, I would perhaps place more weight on UCLA. Ending where I started, I really think you cannot go wrong with either.

There is a post by a UCLA MFE student sharing his thoughts on why he chose the program. Worth reading to get a first hand experience.

First I'd say that Cornell has a fantastic program no doubt. I did not go to Cornell however I know they have professor Deprado on staff and provide a great insight into the financial applications within Machine Learning.

For perspective, I did my MFE at UCLA and what influenced my decision to attend UCLA was due to the fact that they were motivated to change their program for the future. They have continuously evolved their program over the past 5 years (3 years when I was looking at it). They have just brought in Eric Reiner from Berkeley to teach the derivatives courses and have incorporated python into the majority of their class assignments. They also provide answer solutions in math and in python code for many of the more complicated assignments that one will be given as well. That said, what the biggest benefit I experienced during the program was that the professors (for the most part) would actually teach you the material if you asked them directly for help along with the TA's. (What's the point of these programs if you're not going to get the help when you need help).

Opportunity wise, go to the New York trips. I had plenty of attention and opportunities from the New York banks and firms. If you're good you'll get your looks from employers that you're interested in however you need to go on the trips to ensure you have the proper networking experience.

This may change over time certainly, but the fact the current MFE administrators are interested in trying to produce the best quant program in the country is telling.

I hope that helps.

Back