• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Udacity Applied Math Course

I watched the first unit and it seems to be at a very basic level and concentrate on physical and engineering applications of ODEs. I'll probably take my time with this one anyway, but mostly to practice some Python using stuff that I like (numerical methods, modelling). I'm yet to see how complex it gets later on, but as for now it seems that for real-life financial engineering one needs much more skill than this course covers...

^
I was also disappointed with the first unit -- the physics/engineering focus didn't make it particularly salient for finance (but like you said, the Python practice was good). It looks like the latter units focus on more useful topics, though

I think this course would be better if you want to improve your numerical methods and related aspect. It seems mathematically more rigourous. I think it would be on the similar line as this.

I think this course would be better if you want to improve your numerical methods and related aspect. It seems mathematically more rigourous. I think it would be on the similar line as this.

Now that the class has started, I'm having a hard time evaluating whether it's worth putting in the time -- how useful are these methods for differential equations for finance?

Now that the class has started, I'm having a hard time evaluating whether it's worth putting in the time -- how useful are these methods for differential equations for finance?
I will have to say those are quite useful in the context of finance even though its not a full fledged course offered normally at university. But as the instructor said he is giving you all the available tools and later you can dive deep on your own.

Back