• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Welcome back. Introduce yourself

Hi guys,

With the input from many long time members on QuantNet.
I hope this will become the place for us to hang out, reconnect, share and compare notes. With the countless online social networks these days, it's very hard to find a comfortable zone where each of us can be frank.
The other objective is for many of us to collaborate on projects and network. From my experience, good job leads are through personal contacts, not from recruiters.

Just to re-introduce, I got my MFE in 2008, got my first job in 2007 working on a prop credit trading desk with Deutsche Bank. Then 2008 hit and whole desk got laid off. It was a blessing in disguise because it gave me a strong incentive to run QuantNet as my full-time job.

It took until 2011 where we opened our C++ online certificate course which was very well received. In 2016, we followed with the C+11/C+14 advanced course.

I now happily live in Texas with my family. I sometimes wonder why it took me so long to move out of NYC given the nature of my job. I guess things happen for good reasons.

I hope to reconnect to many of your soon.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

I discovered the Quantnet community in 2014 after graduating from my bachelor's in Greece and looking for MFE programs in the States. Soon I realized the value of having the C++ course in my applications and resume, and with little prior programming knowledge I managed to complete the certificate with distinction. Soon after I was offered a part-time job to assist in the student forums as a TA.

This experience and the insights I gained from the community helped me gain admission to a graduate mathematics program in New York, which recently completed, and consists of coursework relevant to the financial/quant industry. Additionally, I had the opportunity to take the advanced C++ course in 2016, which only made me more employable -- getting lots of attention from recruiters and industry professionals throughout my studies.

As a new graduate and with skills I acquired over the years -- guided from your forum discussions and suggestions -- I feel very confident in getting a job in C++ quant development / software engineering / etc., which was my original goal when I first visited the site.

I think I speak for many other students when I say that Quantnet serves as a great point of reference and guidance, and helps ambitious people to move forward, sort out their options, and make right decisions for their future.

Great community, with great purpose! (y)

Hi,
I became Quantnet member several years ago. I always visit this forum looking for information related to HFT wich is the topic I primarily focus on.
I got a Master of Science in computer Science from Polytechnic University of NY (today NYU). I do mostly of my research on C/C++ though Python is the trending language that I use for some coding as well
I love NYC and hope one day to be back to city that never sleeps
Quantnet no doubt is a great community where to belong

Andy!!! A walk back through memory lane.

I became a Quantnet member back in the old days, probably 2004 when Phat was running this operation from his bedroom computer. I went to school with Andy and graduated in 2008.

I have done a lot of things in the financial Industry, from IT to Portfolio Analytics to Risk Management. My latest is iteration is as head of data analytics in a front office Mortgage group inside a big bank in NY.

Alain

became a member in 2013 but had been visiting this site for a while

got my quant degree from columbia

has done research, trading, modeling, analytics... now my main focus is to win a big time lottery and then start a new life all together...

Joined quantnet around 2010. Went to baruch for MFE. Started off in risk management at RBS and then moved into trading at TD for last several years in fixed income. Will soon be moving to a west coast money manager leading a treasuries and tips trading team.

I need to spend more time on QN. It's been a while.

Mark Ross, formally known as Meshulam Ross (legal name change back in 2014). Married. 3 boys 1 girl. 2 turtles.

The first time I heard about MFE was back in my undergrad in 2012 when a classmate showed me QuantNet and said "can you believe the starting salaries these guys make?".

Career: Elementary & high school math teacher '04->'12 >> market risk @ MS '13 >> front office risk client services analyst @ State Street '15 >> securities lending quant @MS '17

Entrepreneurial: ScriptUni.com, love teaching whenever I get a chance, musician, computer geek, built an app for my home town which I keep working on (learned how to use JSON databases for this. Really interesting stuff).

Been on QN since 2012. Never left.

Hello everybody,

I am still only a quantnet C++ student but I did finished the quantnet C++ homework and quiz in under 60 days. I had a dual major in computer science and mathematics. I am currrently learning C++ to improve programming skills and make sure I have C++ certification for grad school. I was invited because I was interested in doing a C++ project. I learned about quantiative finance when I took a undergrad course in mathematical finance and a course in my computer science classes teaching us computational finance. I learned about risk neutral pricing from black scholes,binomial,asian option,parity proofs,mathematical pricing as well as the usage of ARIMA forcasting for finance. I was hooked on learn more about it since then but I am still heavily interested in Computer science topics.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

My name is Niuniu. I am also a current C++ student almost finishing the whole course. Last year, I graduated with a bachelor's degree in pure maths from an upstate liberal art college.

I did not quite know what to do with my life right after graduation, because I thought pure math was useless in the practical sense besides academia. However, after reading the book on Jim Simons, I was quite determined to get into the quant finance industry someday or become a professor. I've been preparing my master/PhD application on scientific computing/applied math/operations research and discovered this C++ course. Without any prior coding knowledge, I indeed learnt a lot from the rigorous format of the QuantNet course.

Hi guys,

My name is Jay and I'm going to be a Senior Chemical Engineering student at Carnegie Mellon. I plan on applying to CMU's MSCF program along with a few other MFE programs in the fall. I am doing the computational finance minor at CMU, but the classes required for the minor mainly just focus on Stochastic Calculus for Finance without any programming. I have very little programming experience (mainly just using Matlab to numerically solve ODEs) so I wanted to take this course to be better prepared for an MFE program and to increase admission chances.

Though I haven't finished the course yet, I've found the course to be very rewarding and a really nice challenge to work on throughout the summer. I definitely plan on taking additional computer science courses through either quantnet, coursera or other platforms going forward.

I haven't done that much research into other MFE programs besides CMU's, but I'm attracted to CMU's program because it seems very ML/programming intensive. I was wondering which MFE programs are comparable to CMU's when it comes to the program's emphasis on computer science/ML?

CMU does do a great job of ML/DS. That said, the exposure is limited by the need to go through StoCal (Hrusa fixed income, Kramkov multi period asset pricing, StoCal1, Shreve stocal 2). It sounds like you’ve completed that part, so maybe consider other programs which you can tailor to your needs? Cornell seems to have doubled down on data science, and a lot of the changes at NYU Courant are in this direction. Their fixation on Java remains a mystery to me- unless they are focused still in cross platform stuff you need to build for risk management.
UCB dramatically upped their pre-reqs, but I’m not sure what that means for the program. Princeton has a lot of range of customization you can build in.
Maybe get after the coding some more? Or pure data science?
I am thrilled (and kind of horrified) by my experience at CMU; if you’ve done StoCal, you’ve done the harder part of the first half of the program .

Super cool! I am really hoping to get that "with distinction" mark as well! Will you be moving on to the Advanced class?
Well currently, I am trying to apply as many jobs as I can since, I delayed my job search to learn C++, I am learn the more advance topics such as multithreading,alias templates,unique ptr on my own. In the future I will take the advance class but I need the job first.

Well currently, I am trying to apply as many jobs as I can since, I delayed my job search to learn C++, I am learn the more advance topics such as multithreading,alias templates,unique ptr on my own. In the future I will take the advance class but I need the job first.
I hope this certification helps out...I am kind of in a similar boat.

I hope this story would give you inspiration How Quantnet's C++ certificates got me a job on Wall Street
I'm sure there are similar success stories by our students since we have thousands of them completed the courses since 2011.
Hang in there. It is a tough time to find jobs during the pandemic but employers are always looking for good people and the bright site is that you can do interview and even work from anywhere now.

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I first joined this community as an undergrad at Baruch college - I created this account in 2007! Much has happened since then, and recently Andy reconnected with me on LinkedIn encouraging me to reconnect. Happy to! Here's my background and what I'm currently working on..

Directly after graduation and seeking self
I graduated Baruch in 2008 with a BA in Mathematics. I'd done several internships in risk management and algorithmic trading while at Baruch and considered joining the MFE program. Dan Stefanica was amazingly supportive of my interest and connected me to his growing network of graduate students. However, two things happened and I decided not to pursue the MFE directly after graduation: the 2008 financial crisis had me skeptical for the future of, at the time, many of the financial products being engineered, and I didn't have confidence in my math and programming skills yet. I wanted a little more work experience first before committing.

I struggled to find quant finance work in NYC after graduation and decided to explore another passion of mine, restaurants and hospitality. I worked very hard in the fine dining scene and eventually worked at Jean Georges at 1 Central Park West. It was incredibly intense and rewarding experience - read about that here in an article I wrote that Slate published What is it like to be a chef at an expensive restaurant?

Moving to Hartford and entering insurance
Life took me to Hartford, CT. Long story short I got what I wanted from hospitality but it wasn't the career for me - too many hours, too little pay, and didn't satisfy my quantitative intellectual curiosity. I took more programming courses and eventually got a job at Travelers (Hartford is still a major insurance capital) writing algorithms to automate decision systems throughout the company for audit, compliance, internal risk management.

I got a MS in Business Analytics & Project Management at UConn and eventually was given the opportunity to start the first Operations Analytics group within Enterprise Business Intelligence and Analytics division - essentially the operational pulse on the entire Travelers domestic business. I managed a small team focused on operations research and decision automation to improve business processes.

It was during this time my entire perspective on organization dynamics changed. I began to understand companies as dynamical networks of interconnected processes and human input. Travelers sponsored me to attend the New England Complex Systems Institute Winter School at MIT in 2019 to pursue this type of thinking and see how we could apply that to new models for operations research. Here I learned about complex systems research from some amazing people - Yaneer Bar-Yam on multi scale complexity, Blake Lebaron on modeling market microstructures, Hiroki Sayama on agent-based modeling, Alfredo J. Morales-Guzman on network modeling and visualization.

My whole way of seeing the world changed and I began to apply systems thinking and principles of complexity science to many problems I encountered in business.

Moving to Santa Fe and leading Data Engineering teams
My wife and I moved to Santa Fe, NM in 2019 and I began the remote work chapter of my career (how little I knew what would come shortly ahead). I was recruited by The Hartford to lead the Data Engineering function within Claims Data Science to automate a huge portion of the claims management lifecycle through predictive models. I had a team of eight direct reports and many other vendor consultants under my management to implement this vision. Phenomenal career and learning experience, ESPECIALLY doing this all through the early, chaotic days of Covid 19.

Starting my PhD and entrepreneurship
My interest in complexity science was just not satiated enough through work experience alone. Yes, some concepts are useful mental models but I had much deeper curiosity in the fundamental aspects of these methods than was needed for most corporate tasks. I applied to the Systems Science PhD program at BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY and Hiroki Sayama became my advisor. Hiroki had designed the program to cater to curious practitioners like me and I am able to do my coursework and research remotely while living in Santa Fe. My research focus is using models and information theory frameworks from natural and biological systems applied to organizational and human systems. I continue working full-time and doing coursework part-time to satisfy my course requirements.

Blockchain and distributed ledger technology offer a new approach to many of the problems I've been working on over the years - coordination of independent units, process automation, incentive mechanisms for human behaviors, data management. So when I was asked to be co-founder of a blockchain analytics startup Chainverse I said YES and pursued my path of adjacent possible.

Climate risk management
I worked on Chainverse for about a year but reached the edge of my personal risk tolerance in summer 2022. By that time my wife and I had our first child and I needed more stability. I amicably left Chainverse and to join Arbol, a parametric insurance and climate derivatives company, to lead the Data Engineering organization. Last year the company wrote $170 million in climate derivatives and insurance products, and my team managed the entire data infrastructure supporting these operations. Our main internal stakeholders are the Risk Modeling and Sales teams.

Before I joined the company spun off dClimate - web3 oriented data layer for verified climate data. This is a core platform for us so still a lot of my work does focus on using ledger technology and principles of decentralization.

Looking ahead
It's a bit surreal to reconnect with Quantnet after all these years. I write out this journey and credit Baruch and the MFE program (albeit indirectly) for influencing so many foundational aspects to my career. Life is not linear and neither are career paths. And fifteen years after my initial career goals of working in finance I feel like I've finally arrived there with my current role at Arbol.

I see huge opportunities ahead for financial engineering and blockchain to be combined in the operational aspect of complex financial products by tokenizing legal contracts and coordinating the many parties involved in complicated structures using trustless, transparent technologies. My mind is not at rest and I look forward to working on some really big ideas that will have huge impact on the nature of financial operations.

Connect with me
LinkedIn
Twitter @c_lemp
My newsletter: Emergent Outcomes where I write about business, technology, and complexity science research

Cheers all 👋

Last edited:
Back