• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What do execution guys do in a quant hedge fund's pipeline?

Mac

1. Seems to me that quant research (statistical analysis and playing around with data) and engineers (maintain the libraries and other software that can help the fund make $$$) are the big moneymakers in a quant hedgefund

2. Outside HFT, what in the pipeline do execution guys contribute to?
  3. What does a day to day look like?
  4. What is their interaction with quant research?
  5. Do they sit in Quant vs mid-office w/ ops? If in ops, what is the difference between their work and ops?
Thanks

Poor execution management can make an amazing strategy (backtested) result in complete garbage. Understanding market structure and best execution practices are vital to a trading firms success, doesn't even need to be a quant fund. Also, if you're strategy involves trading a large amount of shares, then if you don't manage your order properly you can either sway markets negatively against you/ give away your trade to hft folks (they'll see you tryna buy/sell and then smoke you).

People pay alot of money for a good smart order router. If your execution guys can figure that out in-house, you can both save a lot as well as have more control over your order flow. I'd read about ITG and their trading algorithms for a better sense of what's going on in the execution space.

As for front office/back office, I don't really know - if you bring value to the firm (and if they are a good firm) you will get $$$.

Back