• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which distance learning course to take? (Engineering PhD Student)

Hello all,

I am starting my PhD in Q1 2013. It will probably take me 3-4 years if things go well.

My profile:
- 25yrs old
- good-average B.Sc. in Chem./Bio./Pharma.-Engineering in Germany (Top tier university in engineering)
- very good M.Sc. in the same subject (consecutive)
- love building models with artificial neural networks , fuzzy-logic, combinations,... . Have done this with different backgrounds like engineering, stock exchanges, sports-betting with some reasonable success (model-wise, not money-wise ;-) ) . Also I do have a lot of ideas within this subject. The PhD will most likely also include some modelling techniques.

So as stated before I will start my PhD in the next few months and I am thinking about combining it with some distance learning program in (quantitative)finance.

First of all, what do you guys think about this idea? Better do the PhD and participate in an offline program afterwards?

I probably should mention the fact that money is a limiting factor here. I simply will not be able to fund 40k for courses while doing my PhD, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Back