• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which masters program should I apply to?

Dear quant bros,

I am in my mid-30s in Hong Kong now and I am looking to have a mid-life career switch into quant (on the buyside) in either the US or the UK. Could you please advise whether I should apply for a masters in computer engineering or a masters in financial engineering program? The objective is to maximize my chance of getting accepted AND making the switch; I don't care much for school pedigree as long as it could get the job done. Could you please give me your advice on which route to pursue, and also some program suggestions based on my profile? A thousands thanks!

Background:
Masters degrees in Statistics and Economics from Uni of Toronto. Been working in Asia macro + thematic research for the last couple of years; was in back office prior to that. I have tried applying for junior quant jobs in HK but the feedback has generally been that I lack the computer skills to meet their needs (they all seem to want people with C++ and DevOps skills for some reason). My experience with implementing Python and SQL on GitLab and Jupyter notebook is inadequate. Hence, I want to go back to school to close the skill gap. I also intend to use master studies as a means to change geography.

Education:
MA in Econ - 3.77
MSc in Stats - 4.00
BSc in Stats and Econ - 3.88
*I tended to do better in math and stats courses than econ courses, mostly because I didn't feel like I was learning any real "econ" in the latter courses

Masters courses:
Probability (I & II) - Durrett - 4.0/4.0
Real Analysis (I & II) - Stein and Folland - 4.0/4.0
Mathematical statistics - class notes - 4.0/4.0
Statistical Learning - Hastie & Tibshirani - 4.0/4.0
Microeconomics - Mas-Colell - 3.7/4.0
Macroeconomics - Romer - 4.0/4.0
Econometrics I - Wooldridge - 4.0/4.0
Econometrics II - class notes - 3.7/4.0

Another approach to getting into the junior quant positions you target is to address the your weakness. It seems like you can easily take both our C++ courses and possibly Python course which will cost you a few months and less than $5,000. You can then reapply to those jobs again and confidently pass the technical interviews.
You already have a master degree and some relevant work experience. All you need is to bring your programming skills up to date. Many if not most quant-related jobs these days require a very strong programming training, be it C++, Python, etc. The students who completed our courses do really well in those jobs.

Another approach to getting into the junior quant positions you target is to address the your weakness. It seems like you can easily take both our C++ courses and possibly Python course which will cost you a few months and less than $5,000. You can then reapply to those jobs again and confidently pass the technical interviews.
You already have a master degree and some relevant work experience. All you need is to bring your programming skills up to date. Many if not most quant-related jobs these days require a very strong programming training, be it C++, Python, etc. The students who completed our courses do really well in those jobs.
Hi Andy, thank you so much for your advice!

I agree that a short non-degree course in C++ is also an option. But since I also want to leave Hong Kong for either the US or the UK, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone - a MFin program. Would you have any recommendation with regards to that? Thank you!

If you want to work in the US or UK then doing an MFE degree in the respective geography makes sense. Just apply to a few of the top programs that you feel you can get into (much research is needed to make this determination). QuantNet is the place to do this kind of research.
You still need to do these C++ courses sooner anyway since top programs would require that you have a programming certificate.

If you want to work in the US or UK then doing an MFE degree in the respective geography makes sense. Just apply to a few of the top programs that you feel you can get into (much research is needed to make this determination). QuantNet is the place to do this kind of research.
You still need to do these C++ courses sooner anyway since top programs would require that you have a programming certificate.
Thanks a lot Andy! I will do my best.

Back