• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why am I facing difficulty in making career in Finance?

Hi,

I am an Indian, living in UAE, working in the Loyalty Analytics Department in one of the biggest retail chain. This is my second job after graduation, which I did from one of the prestigious institute in India (5 year Integrated Degree with BTech IT + MBA General with thesis in CAPM). I have a total experience of around 2.5 years in Business and Consumer Analytics. I did my thesis in FRM, cleared Actuarial papers, worked in analytics. I know my profile looks completely inconsistent because I tried my hands everywhere and was never sure what I wanted to do in long term, until last year when I decided to pursue MS in Financial Engineering. Along with preparing my application for FE, I tried to find job in the relevant field as well (not in a regress manner, but I did). I got admit from UIUC and UMn and was interviewed by Columbia MFE. I believe that my experience is a biggest reason for rejection from Columbia and with relevant experience in the field, I am quite sure that I can make it to TOP 8.

With this in mind, I have been trying very hard to get job in the financial sector, but the problem is I am not getting calls. I don't know why but I am not. I really know finance to an extent. I was not good at programming but in the last one year, have put in considerable efforts in C++, Python, and R. But, still companies are not considering or may be I am lacking something, which I am not able to figure out. I know that I can crack interviews but for that I should at least get interview calls :(
I really want that I get a relevant job profile and then I go for MFE next year in a biggest brand. Can you guys suggest me something which I should do in order to get job in the financial field.

PS: I work in Dubai, so my priority in UAE only. But, I don't have any problem going back to India for a good opportunity

columbia mfe admits seas of students without any experience watsoever. i dont think lacking of related experience was the reason.

columbia mfe admits seas of students without any experience watsoever. i dont think lacking of related experience was the reason.
May be.. but if I'll have relevant experience, I'll have better chances.. Whatever, I request you to not change the focus of the post. My question is completely different.. request you to please stick to the point..
Thanks

u have nothing to offer to finance companies.
- no finance degree, no hard science degree, no engineering degree, either one
- no programming projects to show or talk about
- resume/cover letter not worded properly.
- not tactful in replies.

getting relevant job profile seems redundant. after MFE you have plenty of opportunities to do so.

u have nothing to offer to finance companies.
- no finance degree, no hard science degree, no engineering degree, either one
- no programming projects to show or talk about
I have engineering degree Keith. BTech in Information Technology. MBA was general but I did my these on unconditional CAPM. Yes, I don't have many programming projects except few in MATLAB..

- resume/cover letter not worded properly.
- not tactful in replies.
I didn't follow this part. Can you elaborate?

hi, usually employers look for BSc, BA or BEng. BTech does not count. Thesis and CAPM is just a theory which in practical uses is flawed. you need concrete finance experience. Can i suggest you to offer entry-level skills like spreadsheet programming or back-office or administrative roles to get your foot in the door. You could do credit analytics even if there's a chance.

well, some parts of your texts are not grammar-ed properly, i have trouble understanding your situation. I am worried this applies to your resume/cover letter.

idk any finance in uae. but in us, ppl with ur profile usually end up in back office. u can start from there and hopefully move to middle office (i.e. better back office).

hi, usually employers look for BSc, BA or BEng. BTech does not count. Thesis and CAPM is just a theory which in practical uses is flawed. you need concrete finance experience. Can i suggest you to offer entry-level skills like spreadsheet programming or back-office or administrative roles to get your foot in the door. You could do credit analytics even if there's a chance.

well, some parts of your texts are not grammar-ed properly, i have trouble understanding your situation. I am worried this applies to your resume/cover letter.
Your suggestion is valuable.. Sorry that you faced problem understanding my situation as I wrote it in a hurry but yeah, this is not acceptable.. I am going to skim through my resume tonight and find out if such is a case..

idk any finance in uae. but in us, ppl with ur profile usually end up in back office. u can start from there and hopefully move to middle office (i.e. better back office).
I am absolutely fine with a back-end job right if it is in finance. I am going to follow Keith's suggestions and will apply in such positions. If I have some relevant experience under my belt, that'll be a plus I guess (Not only in college selection but after MFE as well)

Back