• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Will I find job opportunities as a quant?

Hi,

I wanted to gauge the job opportunities available as a "quant" for someone of my experience and background, particularly in Canada, preferably in a smaller city. I have a degree in mathematical physics, did a Masters in theoretical physics. Used C++/Matlab for modelling and creating algorithms most of my Masters. I also have 2 years of experience doing as an analyst/statistician of some kind.

So hard will it be for me to enter this field from where I stand?

About why I'm doing this and why I didn't do a PhD:
I decided against doing a PhD because life in Academia was a major turn-off, languishing in years of post-doc'ing and tenure-tracking. Also, I didn't think a PhD would give me any additional knowledge or skills for life outside academia or enrich my mind because it would have been only research focused and give me experience only useful for academia in that specific field. If I did a PhD in experimental, it would take off another year or two off my life and as fun as it would be I dreaded being like some of those experimentalists who slave in a windowless lab from morning till night, 80+ hours a week, and ride their bicycle home to their apartment they share with 4 other people. What a life...

So basically the only skills I can apply to industry are mathematical and computational, physics being not useful unless you have practical skills.

Back