• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Working as an international student in the US

Hi everyone,

How hard/tedious is it to find off-campus employment while completing a masters program for an F1 visa? I know that there is a 20hr per week limit while school is in session, which is fine, but special permission from the government has to be granted if one wants to work off-campus.

How easy is it to obtain this permission to work off-campus? Could someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,

J

Hi Marek,

Yes correct. Do you know if the 9 month rule a strict one?

Based on all information I gathered, it is. However I heard that you can work for free. So if your only purpose is to gain work experience, you can give it a shot.

Many who want to work and find a job did so eventually. Also, your school career services and advisors will be giving you all the support you need.

Career services play a crucial role in the success of a program. You can look at how involved the director of a program in helping alumni/graduates with internship/interview/etc.
Every F-1 student has the same employment eligibility. The difference is how you maximize those time to secure a full-time job that leads to H1B visa and eventually a green card.
A lot of information is shared by recent graduates of MFE programs so I think you will have a good idea of what's ahead looking through the discussions here.

Back