• COUNTDOWN TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

would I qualify for visa ?

hi everyone,

first time here,

I am recent graduate from Canada with a background in Statistics , familiar with SAS/ VBA / Matlab and python . I am trying to find a entry level position in risk analyst or SAS programmer . How likely would it be accepted for visa ? I have read that TN visa requires 3 years canadian work related experience in the job related field , is this true for H1B visa ?

matty said:
Frank,

I can tell you my experience with the TN status.
I graduated with a math/stats background (like yourself) from a good Canadian university. I worked in Canada for a few years before getting a contract offer for a job in NY.

The TN process as i remember is a lot more streamlined than the H1-B. Although,TN applications are also heavily scrutinized for what the applicant brings to the job. at least more than an H1-B applicant from what I know.

I do not remember a 3 yr canadian work experience minimum for the TN. But this cant be the case for H1B. Plenty recent graduates apply for H1Bs.

As to your other question : "How likely would it be accepted for visa ? " I can't say. But your chances should be good. Best would be to consult an expert beacuse they see plenty cases.

Also note the differences in the TN and the H1B. TN is for temporary work assignments. I took the TN because I knew I would come back to Canada plus my offer was for a temporary contract job.
If you wish to stay in the US an H1B is a better choice.

Hope this helps.

Can you get H1B without getting sponsored by the company as a Canadian?

ok, it looks like economist , mathematician don't require 3 years experience ,but Computer System Analyst do.

I am looking for jobs with title Risk Analyst , Business Analyst or Data Analyst (mostly Risk Analyst) . What category would I likely fall in ?

ok, it looks like economist , mathematician don't require 3 years experience ,but Computer System Analyst do.

I am looking for jobs with title Risk Analyst , Business Analyst or Data Analyst (mostly Risk Analyst) . What category would I likely fall in ?

From what I know, a lot of Canadians who go into investment banking use the Economist one and will be most likely the one I will be using when I secure full time employment.

It would be great is anyone on this forum who is Canadian that has gone through this process could enlighten us on it.

Back