• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Young Turk seeking insight/advice on fund roles

Hi there,
_
I understand QuantNet is aimed to serve the quant community so I hope no one will be too bothered if I take up a small slice of forum space with this somewhat left-field, general query:
_
To cut a long story short, after spending a couple of years as a research analyst, I threw it all away to study the futures markets and day-trade with my own modest (stress on word modest) capital. Basically I anticipate stop-runs and pre-emptively place orders where I guess the stop run might exhaust itself.
_
Anyway, I simply can't make enough money to justify maintaining this insanely isolating lifestyle, and I've started looking around for entry-level-ish jobs. As mentally saturated as I currently feel with the financial markets, the only job descriptions that elicit any excitement from me, remain, market related.
_
I lack the education & skills to pursue any heavily quantitative career path, but believe I could do some good, at least as a start, in a more supportive role. I feel inwardly embarrassed that I have so little knowledge about the day-to-day business of a typical fund, and would really appreciate if someone could shed light on what these vague job responsibilities really entail (in the context of a fund's trading assistant):
_
* Monitor and respond to incoming market information, economic announcements, and general trading activity to maintain correct pricing of derivatives and manage risk in portfolio.
* Assist in managing risk and perform detailed PnL reconciliation.
* Support credit trading operations through booking trades and coordinating trade reconciliation with Back Office Administrator & broker/dealers
* Confirm and verify the accuracy of trade related data
* Assist in the execution of trades, as needed
* Utilize analytical problem solving skills to troubleshoot trading systems and improve operation and platform
_
P.S. I passed CFA lvl 1 examination a few years ago, that's about as deep as my financial knowledge goes. Much appreciated any thoughts

Back