• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Acceptance Rates for MFE programs

For further information about MSOR, here is an email from the Columbia's contact. I'll set up a conference call with them next week so further information can be extracted. If you have any question, contact me.
We did have conference call with Columbia people which lasted 80 minutes on a wide range of topics from various aspects of the Columbia programs under the IEOR dept as well as updates from top programs around the country.

Here are few interesting stats and bits on Columbia MFE
1) For 2010, they have 620 applications and 110 admits. The total application number does change much over the years (600-700 range)
2) Number of MSOR applications is about 1000
3) They are working on a new website with much more info
4) MFE students have priority over MSOR students on career service resources
5) No plan on opening the program to part-time students
6) Since extending the program to optional third semester a couple of years ago, only 8-9 students take this option per year.

I'll have a more thorough report when I finish my conference calls with other programs.

We did have conference call with Columbia people which lasted 80 minutes on a wide range of topics from various aspects of the Columbia programs under the IEOR dept as well as updates from top programs around the country.

Here are few interesting stats and bits on Columbia MFE
1) For 2010, they have 620 applications and 110 admits. The total application number does change much over the years (600-700 range)
2) Number of MSOR applications is about 1000
3) They are working on a new website with much more info
4) MFE students have priority over MSOR students on career service resources
5) No plan on opening the program to part-time students
6) Since extending the program to optional third semester a couple of years ago, only 8-9 students take this option per year.

I'll have a more thorough report when I finish my conference calls with other programs.

Do you know roughly how many of the 1000 MSOR applicants are accepted? And what are their test scores, GPA, ...etc.?

See attachment. Part of a new article I'm writing about the application numbers from various MFE programs over the year.

Princeton's program seems to be the most sought after (most applied), but they are also the most selective (lowest acceptance rate).

Boston Math Fin got 825 applications? That seems a bit intense. They got even more than CMU.

Baruch MFE 2011 incoming class
This link
672 applicants
43 admitted (6% admission rate)
32 accepted offer (25 full-time, 7 part-time; estimated)

UCB MFE 2011 incoming class
This link
404 applicants
88 admitted (22% admission rate)
68 enrolled (8 females, 60 males)

Princeton University Master in Finance 2011 Incoming Class
729 applications
36 offers of admission (5% admission rate)
29 accepts
Yield Rate: 80.5%

Stanford Math Finance 2011 incoming class
This link
348 applicants
23 admitted (7% acceptance rate)
13 accepted offer (4 females, 9 males)
Number of admits with a graduate degree: 0
Number of domestic students: 0

MIT MFin 2011 incoming class
900-950 applicants
112 admitted (12% acceptance rate)
84 accepted offer. With deferral offers and last minute change of hearts, the current number is 74 with an expected enrollment size of 70.

NYU MSFM 2011 incoming class (FT only)
1050 applicants
74 admitted
37 enrolled

Around 25 enrolled in part-time study.

Columbia MFE 2011 incoming class
938 applicants
110 admitted (12% acceptance rate)
79 accepted offer

Cornell MEng (FE concentration) 2011 incoming class
696 applicants
135 admitted (19% acceptance rate)
56 accepted offer (16 females, 40 males)

Rutgers MSFM 2011 incoming class
439 applicants (427 for full-time degree and 12 for part-time non-degree)
54 accepted offer (46 international students, 8 domestic. 50 for the FT degree program and 4 for PT non-degree)

I see lot of recent activity for UCLA so what about their numbers?

Back