• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need Some Advice - Internship related

Hello guys, I am currently in the 3rd year of a Computer Engineering undergraduate course from India. I plan to pursue my master's in Financial Engineering in USA.
As I know, a good application requires some internships and research in this field. My father has an algorithmic trading startup, so when I work under him, I get to learn a lot. So does that count as a valid internship?
However, some of my friends said that experience within a family-owned firm doesn't count. Is this true? What do you suggest? Should I continue working with him or look for outside opportunities?

If you can show that you learned something and acquired hard skills it should be fine. No need to advertise it's your dad's firm. If you code well and understand key concepts that are needed for future work, that counts more than anything. Looking for another internship down the line while you are doing your MFE will be helpful as well for sure!

Absolutely valid, especially if C++ skills you obtain will help you obtaining 100% on Codility, when you apply for the job (if not coming back to work for your father).

qaprofession.com

Last edited:
Back