• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

After the PhD

A pile of horse manure in that it isn't saying a single new thing, has not a single new insight.

Pure Mathematics - The top funds generally hire the pure mathematicians from esoteric realms such as algebraic geometry and information theory. Banks will also take individuals who study stochastic calculus to a high level for their derivatives research teams.

Feels like a blurb from 2006.

I cannot think (from my limited overview) where algebraic geometry is or can be used in computational finance. And is Information Theory 'pure' maths?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory

Pure Mathematics - The top funds generally hire the pure mathematicians from esoteric realms such as algebraic geometry and information theory. Banks will also take individuals who study stochastic calculus to a high level for their derivatives research teams.

Feels like a blurb from 2006.

I cannot think (from my limited overview) where algebraic geometry is or can be used in computational finance. And is Information Theory 'pure' maths?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory

Algebraic geometry now finds applications in statistics,[7] control theory,[8][9] robotics,[10] error-correcting codes,[11] phylogenetics[12] andgeometric modelling.[13] There are also connections to string theory,[14] game theory,[15] graph matchings,[16]solitons[17] and integer programming.

From wikipedia.

A complete load of shit. Though the theoretical physics faculty of every major US university is still dominated by string theorists.
Yes, 'dominated' is the word. Even some maths departments succumbed to it.

Yeah, it was a crock.

A beautiful subject but almost no-one uses it.

What about ST for dummies? The real world is an approximation to physicists' model??

Two theoretical physicists are lost at the top of a mountain. Theoretical physicist No 1 pulls out a map and peruses it for a while. Then he turns to theoretical physicist No 2 and says: "Hey, I've figured it out. I know where we are."
"Where are we then?"
"Do you see that mountain over there?"
"Yes."
"Well… THAT'S where we are."

//

This kind of quasi-religious jargon (e.g. 'mystery of the universe') has just put me off ST for good.

Last edited:
Back