• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anything from 2024 Columbia MFE?

This is killing me. I'm in Columbia and applied via MS Express way back in November. Now I'm watching other people getting admitted first lol. Would be a great story to be like one of the only people rejected from MS express
Just curious....since you are physically on campus, can't you just knock on their doors (literally) and ask for an update? If you really do that, please let us know what they tell you. Thanks!

Is the status of our application supposed to mean anything more than whether or not its just "under review"? Wouldn't really make sense for it to hint at an acceptance/rejection

Is the status of our application supposed to mean anything more than whether or not its just "under review"? Wouldn't really make sense for it to hint at an acceptance/rejection
Based on the experience of others here....people who got offers tend to see their status changed first to "under review" for a couple of days.

But I don't think a status change should be seen as a precursor to an offer letter. You can easily imagine that the review can very well lead to a rejection, in which case you wouldn't expect the rejected to announce their failures with a megaphone.

Just curious....since you are physically on campus, can't you just knock on their doors (literally) and ask for an update? If you really do that, please let us know what they tell you. Thanks!
I went in today. Got the generic "We can't give you an update, but if you haven't received any portal status change then you will hear back anytime in the next 2 months".
I'm very annoyed but not super worried since I've never heard of someone meeting the MS Express prerequisites not getting accepted; might just be a little later.

I went in today. Got the generic "We can't give you an update, but if you haven't received any portal status change then you will hear back anytime in the next 2 months".
I'm very annoyed but not super worried since I've never heard of someone meeting the MS Express prerequisites not getting accepted; might just be a little later.
Thanks for sharing! Just curious, did they explain what the lack of status change really means?

Is it because they haven't started reviewing the application at all? Or is it that they have taken a first pass at it but decided to put it on the back burner for the moment?

It seems weird for schools to hand out offers without taking at least a prelim look first at all applications......

Thanks for sharing! Just curious, did they explain what the lack of status change really means?

Is it because they haven't started reviewing the application at all? Or is it that they have taken a first pass at it but decided to put it on the back burner for the moment?

It seems weird for schools to hand out offers without taking at least a prelim look first at all applications......
No, but they did make me realize that the MS express application deadline is Feb. 15. So I don't even think mine was looked at yet. Super not worried for myself, although I think people who applied not via MS express likely just didn't make first cut idk.

No, but they did make me realize that the MS express application deadline is Feb. 15. So I don't even think mine was looked at yet. Super not worried for myself, although I think people who applied not via MS express likely just didn't make first cut idk.
I guess they look at applications with GRE scores first. But might be wrong though. Everyone that has their status as 'submitted' probably didn't submit GRE scores.

Hey @joe_boy , any idea why the status are only 'submitted'?
I discovered this happened with MIT too, some folks that didn't submit GRE scores had their applications declined during the last mass release of results and many with high GRE scores got interview invitations. We might say it's not important and that's probably true, but some schools still use it as a filtering mechanism, especially those that receive a large number of applicants.

My guess is that Columbia is going through applications with high GRE scores first. It is also very possible that they have declined some of these candidates that are still "submitted" by now but I cannot say for certain if this is true.

i see but i saw many without it and are current/ex students
The best we can do is to wait and see the outcome. Actually, I am beginning to blame myself for applying. Tuition deposit is high in many of these top schools. I have two admits and one reject so far and for both schools, I cannot secure my spot because of the tution deposit. Exchange rate has gotten crazy in my country. Just got to know NCSU's deposit is just $500. I should have just tried that instead of Columbia. Don't know if there is still any hope.

I discovered this happened with MIT too, some folks that didn't submit GRE scores had their applications declined during the last mass release of results and many with high GRE scores got interview invitations. We might say it's not important and that's probably true, but some schools still use it as a filtering mechanism, especially those that receive a large number of applicants.

My guess is that Columbia is going through applications with high GRE scores first. It is also very possible that they have declined some of these candidates that are still "submitted" by now but I cannot say for certain if this is true.
There was a student who already got in to CU mfe and he didn’t have a GRE score so I don’t think it’s in regards to that

There was a student who already got in to CU mfe and he didn’t have a GRE score so I don’t think it’s in regards to that
That guy with 4.0 GPA right? I still think there is some filtering going on. The point is we cannot say for certain that CU has declined applications with "submitted" status. Let's keep the hope alive.

For sure I agree. I don't think CU has declined apps with "submitted" status. But I also don't think they are saving non-GREs for later but rather a more holistic approach. I say this as I have spoken to alumni from both Columbia programs who did not submit GRE scores but were accepted. Then again we never know, I am just hopeful we see a next batch soon.

hey @nonomysquant congratulations on your offer to MAFN! Did you also see the status change from submitted to under review before the offer?
Nope, for the MAFN, I had no update at first. Then I got an email saying that an update as been released. I checked my app and clicked on the update which then gave me a letter saying I got in. Only reason I was expecting something was because Andy had told us some decisions will be coming out soon.

Back