• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Anything from 2024 Columbia MFE?

Sure... The moment I discovered that Princeton received almost 1200 applications or thereabout, I knew it was gonna be tough this year. Some of us didn't even attempt Princeton, we were probably discouraged by the single digit admit rate.

It is what it is bro. We move!!
wow 1200 for 30-40 seats? good luck to all those who have applied!

This is also pretty common in undergrad admissions, they call it 'yield protection'. Higher yield rate and lower acceptance rates make the programs look more selective
Is the yield rate a factor in the ranking of a school or program? Does it help them get the right kind of students they are looking for, or is it just something that makes them look more selective?

Is the yield rate a factor in the ranking of a school or program? Does it help them get the right kind of students they are looking for, or is it just something that makes them look more selective?
I assume for example if a applicants if clearly good for Princeton MFE program, lower tier programs simply would classify those applicants as overqualified, and just simply wouldn't give them a offer to maintain more selective percentages.

I assume for example if a applicants if clearly good for Princeton MFE program, lower tier programs simply would classify those applicants as overqualified, and just simply wouldn't give them a offer to maintain more selective percentages.
Understood. But wouldn't the program lose out on a potentially good candidate? For example, someone qualified for Princeton with no scholarship may not be able to join, just because it's unaffordable to him/her.

Understood. But wouldn't the program lose out on a potentially good candidate? For example, someone qualified for Princeton with no scholarship may not be able to join, just because it's unaffordable to him/her.
yea its a game that all colleges in the US play. they like to keep their acceptance rate low but they also cant over admit with the worry that if everyone accepts then they wont have space. they will deny people who are going to go to better schools. happens all the time

This is killing me. I'm in Columbia and applied via MS Express way back in November. Now I'm watching other people getting admitted first lol. Would be a great story to be like one of the only people rejected from MS express
I also applied through MS express, still waiting for the results……

whats ms express?
The MS Express program affords highly qualified undergraduate applicants from SEAS, Columbia College, Barnard, and General Studies the opportunity to apply to any MS program in engineering at SEAS and matriculate in the semester immediately following their graduation. Interested eligible alumni of these schools may also apply within three years of graduation.

Do they process the applications for those who submitted test scores first?

I also applied through MS express, still waiting for the results……
Yeah I didn’t realize that the deadline for MS express was Feb. 15, which means it was after the first round of admits. They didn’t even look at ours yet until this coming round, so I wouldn’t be too worried

Should we be expecting some results today given the first batch came out on a Monday as well? :/

Should we be expecting some results today given the first batch came out on a Monday as well? :/
It seems that the first batch came out on Tuesday Feb.13

However, Columbia MAFN's only first batch came out on Monday Feb.19. But the website says it sends out decisions on rolling basis.

Perhaps, the second batch will be tomorrow (hopefully)

I remembered that (maybe) Columbia MFE gave them 2 weeks to pay the deposit.

It seems that the first batch came out on Tuesday Feb.13

However, Columbia MAFN's only first batch came out on Monday Feb.19. But the website says it sends out decisions on rolling basis.

Perhaps, the second batch will be tomorrow (hopefully)

I remembered that (maybe) Columbia MFE gave them 2 weeks to pay the deposit.
2 weeks are done, according to last year's pattern we should have gotten 2nd round admits on 27th - 28th Feb

2 weeks are done, according to last year's pattern we should have gotten 2nd round admits on 27th - 28th Feb
The first batch was on Tuesday

Is there a chance that they will release the second batch today?

However, I saw that last year, someone got the offer at the end of April.

Additionally, it seems that not everyone has the "Current Status" under the "Application Details". What does the status mean?

Someone claims that they have "Current Status" but have not received decisions for a long time.

Anyone got the decision without the "Current Status"?

I just checked, I have the current status now, it’s showing the following

Current Status

Your application has been moved to review with the Faculty Committee. The Office of Graduate Admissions cannot give you an estimate on when you will receive your admission decision, but we want you to know that your application will receive careful consideration by the Faculty Committee. Decisions will be made on an ongoing basis and you will be notified via email when a decision has been made.

In the meantime, please continue to keep an eye on your application checklist. Any outstanding materials will be indicated with an "X".

I just checked, I have the current status now, it’s showing the following

Current Status

Your application has been moved to review with the Faculty Committee. The Office of Graduate Admissions cannot give you an estimate on when you will receive your admission decision, but we want you to know that your application will receive careful consideration by the Faculty Committee. Decisions will be made on an ongoing basis and you will be notified via email when a decision has been made.

In the meantime, please continue to keep an eye on your application checklist. Any outstanding materials will be indicated with an "X".
Hi. Do you know approximately when that heading showed up?

Back