• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Baruch's Pre-MFE Reviews anyone?

I tried searching the forums. Can anyone of you provide a review of Baruch's Pre-MFE's Seminars? I know the website provides reviews with a few sentences each. http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/
I was wondering if someone could give some more detail? For example, did the course go to0 fast? Was the professor or TAs great? Was he or she accessible outside of class? Was the exams hard? Homework hard? Was it worth the money to spend to try to get into an MFE program? Is there any preparation you would do before taking those seminars? Thanks.

I am currently enrolled in the pre mfe "Advanced Calculus course" so I will take a stab at answering some of your questions here.

Pace of the course really depends on your background, your preparation before joining the course and amount of time you have to spend on it after after the class, having said that it does cover alot of material in two months time. Professor and TA's are great and very accessible, they have set up a forum similar to quantnet where you can post questions and they respond very quickly..after every class we have a one hour TA session so you can ask them any questions you have regarding what was covered in the class.

I haven't had my exams yet so can't comment on it yet..but homeworks again depending on your background can range from moderate to difficult, but I will tell you one thing you will learn alot by doing the homework!!! I felt my money was well spent it polished up areas where I needed work and it helps me make a strong case for the MFE program in any university I will apply.

I feel the best way to prepare for it will be to buy premier textbook and solution manual by Dan Stefanica and attempt each and every question from it and code the psuedocode in the book.

Mur, can I ask you a personal question? What is your background? How well do you know Calculus? I had a hard time reading the Primer textbook. I took a brief look at it on Amazon and it seemed like a foreign language to me. I'm not sure I would do well in the Advanced Calculus seminar. Does the professor go from beginning Calculus to advanced calculus? Or is there a major assumption that you are suppose to know Calculus 1 before taking the seminar.

I came from a strong programming background, but I really didn't have strong math skills. I had taken Calc 1 and Calc 2 in college, but it was very rusty considering I have been out of school for more than 5 years, what I did before joining the seminar was that I brushed up on my calc skills using the MIT open course ware and other video lectures I was able to find on the web. I have pasted some links that I had used below:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/video-lectures/
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02-multivariable-calculus-fall-2007/video-lectures/
http://www.oid.ucla.edu/webcasts/courses/2009-2010/2010winter/math31a-1
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrChrisTisdell/videos?view=pl
Also I used Premier as a reference and specifically focused on the math topics which were covered there.

If someone, didn't know calculus before taking the class, would they be able to know what's going on in the lecture? What's your opinion on this?
Thanks. I'm probably going to take it next year, which is 1 year away, the next time they offer it. So I have lots of time to brush up. I was too late to take the Calculus seminar review :(

I tried searching the forums. Can anyone of you provide a review of Baruch's Pre-MFE's Seminars? I know the website provides reviews with a few sentences each. http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/
I was wondering if someone could give some more detail? For example, did the course go to0 fast? Was the professor or TAs great? Was he or she accessible outside of class? Was the exams hard? Homework hard? Was it worth the money to spend to try to get into an MFE program? Is there any preparation you would do before taking those seminars? Thanks.

I am also currently enrolled in the PRE MFE Advanced Calculus seminar, so hopefully I can also help shed some light on this.

The lectures do move quite fast, but if you read ahead of time you should be able to follow along without too much difficulty. Also, I found that the lectures helped me understand many concepts I didn't entirely grasp after reading them initially. The professor explains all of the ideas very clearly and thoroughly, and is always open to questions regarding the material during the lecture. After each 3 hour lecture there is a 1 hour recitation where the TAs are available to answer any questions regarding the lecture or homework (very knowledgeable and helpful). Outside of the classroom, the TAs and professor are accessible via email. However, the most useful resource outside of the classroom would be the online forum where all of the students, TAs and the professor ask and answer questions.

Workload: There are 6 homeworks and 1 exam. The HWs are not extremely difficult but definitely do take a good amount of time to go through to properly answer all of the questions and understand all of the concepts. I can't speak for the exam yet, but based on previous exams it seems that it will be quite similar to the HWs that are given throughout the seminar. Also, the exam is open books and open notes if that helps.

To sum up my opinion: I enrolled in the seminar with several goals: a) I wanted to see what the classroom experience would be like in the Baruch MFE program b) I wanted to see how math/finance/programming intense the material will be and c) I plan on applying to programs for financial engineering/mathematical finance in the future and wanted to develop the necessary background. All of these goals (and more) were met, so I am happy I enrolled in the seminar (and plan on enrolling for the next ones as well) so to me it was money well spent.

Now to answer some of your questions about a mathematical background. Personally, I have a B.S. in Mathematics and I am a recent college graduate so most of the math is still quite fresh. I have a very minimal background in finance, and a minimal background in programming (one introductory course). Now that you know my background, here is how I feel about the course.

If you don't know calculus before coming into the course you will definitely not be able to keep up with the course at all. Everything is extremely math related, and the math itself is at a decently advanced level (for calculus), so without any background there is almost no chance of success. Before coming into the seminar you should have a background in differential, integral, and multivariable calculus (usually called calculus 1,2, and 3, respectively). Perhaps audit some classes at a local college.

Besides for the math background, you should also know how to program somewhat decently (c++ seems to be a popular choice). This is where I have had to spend a lot of time while studying and doing homework. Since my background in programming was not very strong it has definitely been a learning process, but I am improving as time goes on. As mentioned earlier, if you are able to program all of the pseudocodes that are in the book (there are about 7-10 essential ones) before coming into the program, you will have a great head start.

In terms of finance, I have found that most of the ideas covered in the seminar are pretty straightforward and easy to pick up on if you don't know them before coming into the seminar.

Once you register for the course, they suggest you read the first 3 or so chapters of the book and do the problems from the first chapter. I did exactly what was suggested (time was of the essence), and it helped me a lot for the beginning of the course. If you are able to read through the book and be able to understand all of the math in there (i.e. first half of each chapter), you will definitely be alright in the course (from the math perspective). If you can read the whole book and work through all of the problems ahead of time (as well as the programming) then you will almost definitely be able to breeze through the course.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

so without any background there is almost no chance of success

I wouldn't be so hasty. Many people have successfully completed that (or a similar) course a decade after their last exposure to calculus and were quite successful at that. That having been said, it is not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination, and is not the "typical" case.

I wouldn't be so hasty. Many people have successfully completed that (or a similar) course a decade after their last exposure to calculus and were quite successful at that. That having been said, it is not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination, and is not the "typical" case.

A decade since their last exposure and no exposure are two ver different things...from his posts purplyboy doesn't sound like he has any calculus exposure at all.

If someone, didn't know calculus before taking the class, would they be able to know what's going on in the lecture?

I agree. without calculus the advanced calculus seminar would be close to impossible. Hence the name: advanced calculus.

Well, I have some exposure to AP calculus in high school and some business calculus in college :D That probably wouldn't be enough.
Did I read something wrong. You need to know C++ to take the Calculus seminar. I don't think I've seen that as a prerequisite in the calculus seminar pdf.
Thanks for your in depth review.
I'm going to go through these dvds (
The Calculus 1 & 2 Tutor - 2 DVD Set! - 8 Hour Course! - Learn By Examples!)

before I take the calculus seminar next year http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COQ9XQ/

Did I read something wrong. You need to know C++ to take the Calculus seminar. I don't think I've seen that as a prerequisite in the calculus seminar pdf.

You didn't read anything wrong. Although it's not a prerequisite, the seminar does have a reasonable amount of programming that is required, so you should have some background in it. As I said before, the litmus test should be the pseudocodes in the book, particularly the easier ones towards the beginning. Once you are able to code those, you should be more or less fine.

Also, the language doesn't need to be c++ in particular - that just seems to be a common choice (and will be very useful later on).

The pre-mfe states
6. How difficult is it to pass the seminar, or to achieve Distinction?
On average, 54% of the people enrolling in a Pre-MFE Seminar receive the Certification, 22% with Distinction. (Only one student has, so far, completed all Pre-MFE Seminars with Distinction.)

I guess its hard to pass exams or do HW. Or maybe a lot of people don't care?

The pre-mfe states
6. How difficult is it to pass the seminar, or to achieve Distinction?
On average, 54% of the people enrolling in a Pre-MFE Seminar receive the Certification, 22% with Distinction. (Only one student has, so far, completed all Pre-MFE Seminars with Distinction.)

I guess its hard to pass exams or do HW. Or maybe a lot of people don't care?

It's most likely a combination of the two. I also don't know whether or not those statistics include people who begin the seminar but don't complete it.

DavidH, a lot of people dropped out? Right now, I'm debating whether or not to take the 2 seminars in February or wait next year. I'm not sure I'm ready for it. What do you think?

I honestly don't know exactly how many people dropped out, but there are more people missing by lectures than there were in the beginning. I don't know what your background in linear algebra or probability is, but I would imagine the intensity is about the same as the adv. calc. seminar so the background information/requirements would probably be equivalent for the applicable areas.

yes, this will be a good review also I recall Dan mentioning in the class that once you register for the Linear Algebra seminar he will mail you specific study material that will be helpful read before starting the class.

purplyboy, can you comment on the 2-set DVD once you've gone through them? i've been in search of quick calculus brush-up for awhile now. thanks. -kc

I have some exposure to AP calculus in high school

That was the extent my exposure to calculus as well (hope you got a 5 on the AP...), and this was junior year of high school. Needless to say rusty did not begin to describe my condition at that point.

Back